Girls stopped laying and haven't laid an egg for 2 weeks...why?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by binza1979, May 21, 2012.

1. binza1979

binza1979 Songster

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    I have two girls that were faithful layers. They started laying last August and haven't stopped...until now!

I changed feed 2 weeks ago. They stopped laying. So did my chickens, but only for a day or two. It has been 2 weeks since I've gotten a duck egg. I am worried.

Also, on Saturday, I was in the duck pen petting my drake when my shy hen charged me. She had her head out low and stiff in front of her and she was vibrating. I went in again on Sunday and she was biting my pant legs. This is the hen that NEVER comes near me even if I am feeding peas. I have to toss peas her way so she can have treats.

What could be going on with my sweet girls?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Could they be hiding a nest of eggs somewhere nearby?

3. binza1979

binza1979 Songster

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    Not that I can find. The one that attached me has been spending time in the dog house where she usually lays eggs. They are in an enclosure, so there aren't hiding places for eggs. I have searched.

Is the hen attacking me a sign that she is trying to be broody? I have never had a broody before. It is weird to me that BOTH hens stopped laying at the same time. Neither appears to be molting.

4. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Songster

Mar 12, 2011
    My girls are hiding their eggs. I found the nest. All of them are laying in the same nest. But they are not sitting. Good luck. I would there are eggs somewhere.

5. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Songster

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    Think maybe you need to go do a more thorough search. Sounds like a hidden nest.

6. binza1979

binza1979 Songster

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    Unless they are laying underground, there is no hidden nest.

7. binza1979

binza1979 Songster

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    When I got home from work today there was an egg sitting in one of the 3 nesting boxes. It was from our Rouen hen. The Khaki Campbell is the one attacking me. The egg was lopsided and a bit lumpy in places. I was thrilled that I got an egg, but worried about the shape a bit.

8. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Songster

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    Hmmmm...MOLE DUCKS!!!! Think you have created a new breed [​IMG]

9. ChickenRascal

ChickenRascal In the Brooder

May 15, 2012
    try oyster shells that happens to our eggs some times and oysters shells has realy worked

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Oyster shell, good stuff I usually have to use a hammer to crack open my ducks eggs. [​IMG] and when you get a pic of your mole ducks please post. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: