Girls survived first night out in coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CathyB, Jun 21, 2008.

1. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    I was so nervous but they are all having a ball! They love the new coop and the run. A tiny scared yet.

BTW- I left a light on in there for them since it was new to them. When can I shut off the night light? :aww

2. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    My 10 6 week olds spent their first night outside last night too. Like you, I turned their light on. They wouldn't stop chirping when I put them out there, even though I think they were just scared, I left it on just in case. I think I'm going to give it to them for the next few days while they get used to their house then turn it off.

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    How old are they? Once my chicks move outside I do not give them a light. I think mine were 5 weeks. I have one week olds in the house still and last night I did not leave their light on as the temp is pretty warm right now, especially for this area. I let them out during day, without heat light, and then bring them in, in the evening, usually with a light on, but it was so hot yesterday and will be again today, so I left their light off.
    one week pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it depends on how yours are faring and on whether you have a window...I used a light for one night only, though I will add another in late summer to come on at 4 am when they get close to laying eggs.

5. CodyChristine

CodyChristine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    My chicks are 6 weeks old tomorrow and they have been in their coop for about a week. They love it but I still put their light on at night. We live in MN and the temp drops a little low some nights.

6. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Thanks everyone! They will be 6 weeks old on Monday. I think they are doing ok. Maybe one more night with their light and then they will do without it until fall I guess. Yes, there is a window on the south wall so I guess they would get some moonlight!

They did not use the roost last night as far as I can tell. I believe they slept in the pine shavings. They could have slept in their brooder box too. I put that in there to make them feel a little better! I am such a worry wart mother hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by