Girls with bloody poop and wet bottoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nochickenshere, Apr 15, 2011.

1. nochickenshere

nochickenshere New Egg

Apr 10, 2011
    I have aprox. month old Anacona Pullets and I noticed monday that a there was bloody poop in the cage where I keep them. I have watched them carefully they seem to be eating and drinking fine, but this morning I found one of my girls dead. I have put some Sav a Chick in their water since monday. What should I do now??? Please Help we are farely new at chickens.

2. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Sounds like Coccidiosis. Do you use medicated feed?

3. nochickenshere

nochickenshere New Egg

Apr 10, 2011
    yes we get our feed from southern states

4. nochickenshere

nochickenshere New Egg

Apr 10, 2011
    what should I use to get rid of it??

5. Alabama ee

Feb 18, 2010
    There are 3 thngs I can think of that would cause bloody stools: Marek's, Coccidiosis, and worms. Usually the medicated feed is enough to prevent Coccidiosis. Do you know if
    they received a shot for Marek's?

6. Alabama ee

Feb 18, 2010
    If it is Coccidiosis, then you would treat with Sulmet.

With worms, you would want to deworm. A lot of folks use Wazine.

If it is Marek's, then vaccinating the others may help. Marek's is a pretty bad thing to happen. Hopefully it is not that.

I would not do all 3 of the above at the same time. I would treat 1st for Coccidiosis and see if that works.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Unfortunately medicated feed does not prevent coccidia, it just helps build resistance to it over time. If your chicks have it, it means one or more of the 9 strains have overwhelmed your chicks system. I recommend you buy Corid 9.6 liquid solution, it's for coccidia in cattle. Dosage is 9.5cc per gallon of water x 7 days. OR 4.75cc per 2 quarts of water x 7 days. Your feed store should carry it. Corid is easier on their system than sulmet. They are too young to have worms affect them. If they died with one leg stretched forward and one behind them, as well as clouded eyes, I would suspect Marek's.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  8. nochickenshere

nochickenshere New Egg

Apr 10, 2011
    Ok guys thanks for all the help! No they have not been vaccinated for maeriks. I went to feed store and got Sulmet and mixed it up and gave it to the girls, they seem to be alittle more perky but still seem to huddle in their group and just act like they aren't feeling well. While I was moving the girls to clean their pen our dog knocked over the waterer on one of my girls, it is clear it broke her leg what do we do now? When it rains it pours!!

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated

9. Alabama ee

Feb 18, 2010
    Make sure you keep their bedding dry and as clean as possible.

If it is Coccidiosis, it will take a day or so before they are completely better. If they are already starting to look better, that is a good sign.

You can straighten the leg and put a splint on the leg and wrap it.

10. nochickenshere

nochickenshere New Egg

Apr 10, 2011
    the break seems to be right in the bend of the knee area. The girls seem to be acting better but I got a couple that still have me worried

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by