Girls won't leave roost to eat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Stacyc, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Stacyc

Stacyc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    We are in the midst of a cold snap here in Minnesota, high of -1 today, for two days now my three girls don't seem to be eating, they stay on the roost when I put down the goodies and seem to get antsy, they gobble down the food if I hold it up and hand feed them all so I know they want to eat and seem to be acting normal, if anyone can act normal when it's this cold. My concern is this, I have sand as my litter on the floor, it is loose and dry, the floor space is 3.5x5.5 so not all that big and I am not using any heat, is my floor to cold for their feet? Could I add 5 or so inches of pine shavings on top of sand and then replace the sand in spring?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Is the sand new? Are they going to water? Are there drafts or something near the floor they don't like? How dark is the coop, are they getting enough light to wake them properly? If you don't want to ruin your sand, since it is a small coop, you could put a sheet or something down and shavings or whatever on top of it and see if that is their problem.

3. Stacyc

Stacyc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    Thanks for the idea on covering the sand first. The water was low today so I know they do pop down occasionally but they haven't messed up the food. The sand is not new and the vents are up high. They I believe they are getting up properly in the AM their is a large window on one side. They haven't stepped foot outside in a week. Nw I know what being cooped up means.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Chickens are weird sometimes. If they are going to water, what is up with ignoring the food. It is the same food they have been on, double checked that it is OK? Have you tried tempting them with something special to get them down on the floor? Have you taken them off the perches and put them down?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by