1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Girly Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TroyerGal, Apr 10, 2016.

1. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

So, I have this rooster... his name is George.
    He is about 25 weeks old and has not crowed since i have had him. (3 days)
    He also sits in the hens nesting boxes and "nests", kinda fluffs the straw and settles in like a nesting hen!
    I don't think he has tried to mate either... if he doesn't start doing his "job" soon, i'm gonna have to eat him, and i don't want to have to do that.

Has he just not matured yet? or is he just a girly guy? is he just lazy?

thanks for any advice you may have :)

2. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    Are you sure he's a rooster?

3. TroyerGal

Um, yeah... They are red sex link birds. he is obviously different and the others lay eggs :) :)

4. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    Then perhaps he's just not got the hang of being the rooster yet lol. Is he protective?

5. TroyerGal

Not really, he usually hangs out in the nesting box or sits around spacing out. LOL.

6. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    Lol that's hilarious

7. TroyerGal

It totally is :) and kinda disturbing :D

8. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    Ugh very disturbing, I wonder if he'll free range when he gets warmer out or just be a broody rooster (hahaha)

9. microchick

microchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Well now give the boy credit. My roosters all set in the nest box when the hens started laying, picking up pieces of straw and arranging it just right while he talked to the girls.[​IMG]
    Here he is doing his Martha Stewart thing with one of the Buff girls looking totally unimpressed.

Maybe this is what he is trying to do if he is a young roo like Red was in this picture and he is trying to show the girls what a good provider he is...not so great at decorating but hey, it's straw, only so much you can do.

10. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    good thinking. I like that thought

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by