GIT infection - how long til the meds work?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sabavana, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Sabavana

Sabavana Out Of The Brooder

Hi everyone,

My little Merlot (Isa brown) was whisked off to the vet on Saturday, and was diagnosed with a gastrointestinal infection. She was prescribed antibiotics morning and night, and then a probiotic afterwards. She was also given an anti-inflammatory at the visit. So far she's had five doses of the antibiotics, with the fifth to come in about 10mins time (shhh don't tell her!).

Not half an hour ago, she was sitting on my lap and did a really runny, really *really* stinky poo. I'm going to be calling the vet in the morning, but just wondered if anyone knows how long it takes for these things to clear up? She is still not herself behaviour-wise - lots of just laying around. No scratching. She is eating and drinking though. I just kinda thought she should be showing some improvement by now, and now I'm going to be worrying all night until I can call the vet in the morning! Anyone else's chicken been through similar?

Tara

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Did your vet do a gram stain? What antibiotics is she on?

-Kathy

3. Sabavana

Sorry for the very tardy reply. I'm sad to inform that Merlot-hen passed away from her infection. Two vet visits, tests, temperature checks, anti-inflammatories, two different lots of antibiotics, and a caloric-rich supplements didn't help, and she died not long after she stopped eating and drinking. My hubby was cuddling her as she passed, so at least she knew she was loved. RIP Merlot.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss.

-Kathy

5. Sabavana

Thanks so much Kathy, much appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by