Give a newbie some advice!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jakoda, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    What can I say, chicken math has struck:) I'm on a list for some orps, (can't wait!) but would also love to trying hatching some eggs..

So for a complete newb, educate me:) I wouldn't want a HUGE bator, maybe 6-10 egg , but I would love one that would basically "do it all"..

How difficult IS IT to hatch eggs???

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but would love some advice:
    Thanks
    Diane

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Depends on your budget but get a Brinsea Octa 20 Pro if you have the cash. Dont buy a mini bator unless you absolutely positively can guarantee that you wont "need" one that can hatch more than 10 eggs. Remember - shipped eggs give you about a 50% hatch rate. 8 eggs - 4 no good - 2 roosters......... Chicken math says get a bigger box.

In saying that, I use a Hovabator 1602N with a fan kit and turner. Its less than half the price. I use a good calibrated digital thermometer with remote sensor so I can keep an eye on the temps without hovering over the bator, Some people hate the styro bators, others love them. Not many hate the Brinseas.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I have a Brinsea, but I can't really tell you much about it as I'm only on day 6 of my set of eggs using this one. So far it has been good though. Temperature and humidity's fine. I read great reviews about it, I must say.

Hatching eggs is not that difficult. As long as you use proper equipment, good quality eggs and follow the guidelines reg temp and humidity.

Here's a good article on hatching that will tell you everything:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

1 person likes this.
  4. katsdar

katsdar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 21, 2012
    Armuchee, Georgia
    I have the brinsea eco 20 found on line for 113 plus shipping, of 20 bucks, then I got a hydrometer at the pet store, and did great with old eggs

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    .​

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by