Give Away Now or Wait.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JoieD, Nov 6, 2011.

1. JoieD

JoieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    Marysville, Ohio
    I have a 4x8x6H ft coop and have raised 14 chicks. They are now almost 9 weeks old and have been living in the coop for about 4 weeks now. They also have a 10x14 run. The problem is my sister was suppose to take half of them and has now changed her mind. I can give some away to a local farmer, but I would like to wait until i know for sure what sex they are. Will they be too crowded in the coup if I wait until February or March to give them away. Thought maybe they could keep each other warm, but I don't want them to start fighting for space. They are standard size BO's, SLW's, GLW's, EE's and Light Brahmas. Thanks.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I think they'll be OK.
    Keep an eye on them as they mature.
    If they seem to get crowded you can sell your least favorites on Craigslist.

You may not be up to it but I start butchering the roosters as they start to crow since straight run are usually 50/50.
    We never buy chicken to eat any more. Except wings and livers since chickens only have 2 wings and we eat lots of wings and livers.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:at 9 weeks old sexing should be failry easy --can you post photos? whole body side shots-not someone holding them either???

4. JoieD

Aug 21, 2011
    Marysville, Ohio
    Sexing seems to be difficult with some of the breeds I have. I'll try to get pics again next week. Maybe some of the roosters will really stand out to someone.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm not sure where you are located so I don't know what your weather will be like. If they will generally have access to the run, I'd think they will be OK, but if your weather or your management techniques keep them in the coop for long spells, it could get crowded.

As Sonew123 said, we might be able to help with sexing at that age. Shots showing the whole chicken, including legs to head, are really helpful. I don't trust combs and wattles much at that age, especially with most of your breeds.

6. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    I think if you can post some pics some of the more knowledgable people on here could prob figure it out for ya.

7. JoieD

Aug 21, 2011
    Marysville, Ohio
    No sooner than I put down the computer and grabbed the camera to go out and try to get some pics than my sister called. (maybe she reads this forum) She came and left with three. Not as many as i had hoped, but I appreciate the effort! Now I am down to 11. A little more manageable maybe?

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:good maybe she got the roos??? [​IMG]

9. JoieD

Aug 21, 2011
    Marysville, Ohio
    And I told her no give backs!

10. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps