Give hen chicks during day or night?

Wicked Gardener

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 30, 2010
Pleasant Hill, CA
I have a hen who went broody and since we did not have any roosters, ordered 4 fertile eggs for her to set. Only two hatched and one of those died the first day. Its been about 4 days from the hatch and after candling and float testing the other 2 eggs we have determined they are not viable. The local feed store has chicks coming in tomorrow so we were planning on picking up 2 babies for her to slip underneath her. I'm confused with all the different opinions as to do this during the day or during the night??? Also, if for some reason she doesn't accept these two chicks with the baby she is already raising will I be able to tell right away? I don't want to sneak some chicks on her at night and then in the morning find a tragedy....Thanks for any input!

I have successfully slipped feed store chicks under a broody just after dark a couple of times. I'm guessing the broody felt like they'd hatched during the night. I also had a broody kick 4 feed store chicks out of the nest (she didn't harm them, though.) Personally, I don't think I'd try this if she was already raising a chick.

Obviously, I don't have a lot of experience, though.

I have done this before and I have had no problems..I slip them in at night and she never has thrown a fit. I think she is just happy to have more babies...The more the merrier for her.. Good luck!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom