1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Give me all your widsom on sexing chicks PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EmAbTo48, Feb 10, 2012.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    I am picking up only 4 chicks next week. 2 will be Gold Wyandottes and the other 2 will be Columbian Wyandottes! I am super excited to add these beautiful colors into my flock, however they come st. run from a local breeder.

I need any advice on picking chicks and praying they will be hens!!!!! I can handle one more Roo as long as he learns the pecking order pretty fast with my adult Roo! But I don't want to have all Roos!

Is there anything to be looking for at all. The chicks will be only days old so I know its a 50/50 chance. I don't know how to sex with venting and don't plan too. So I will take any wisdom or any "wife tales"!!!

Thanks!!!

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    One is if you pick up a chick, the pullets will let their legs hang down, and the roos will pull up their legs. But it might be the other way around. Hopefully someone will know.
    Another one is if you hold them upsideown, the roo's will never stop flapping, but the pullets will eventually just hang. But I wouldn't try that.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    How old will they be when you select? That can make a difference.

If they are pretty newly hatched, I don't trust any if the various ways you hear, but feel free to try any that you wish. It won't hurt.

What you want is a healthy active chick that is movng around some and not lethargic and puffed up. This has nothing to do with sex, just that you want healthy chicks.

Assuming they are newly hatched, if I were you, I'd try to avoid chicks that stand tall and upright. Look more at the ones that are not as upright in posture. The posture would be my first criteria. Of less importance to me, I'd try to avoid the larger ones, especially if they have a few days age on them. I assure you if you try my methods, your odds are about 50-50 on each chick.

This means with 4 chicks, your odds of getting

4 males is 1 in 16,
    4 females is 1 in 16,
    3 males is 1 in 4,
    3 females is 1 in 4, and
    2 of each sex is 3 of 8.

So your odds of getting at least two females is 11 in 16. Not too bad odds.

4. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thanks guys! They will be newly hatched! I really like these breeds and dont have any so i am just going to take the risk! I hope we wont have more roos but if we do will have to deal with it when it comes.

5. my rosters and hens will do both of those things it doesn't really work (week olds, i think i can tell the difference). also one of my older hens wont stop flapping its wings and squirming around unless you put something under her feet like a hand or arm. so i think its all about personality. i can tell the difference in my week olds i think because of the feathering but it wouldn't work on your day olds. some feed stores say they only sell hens, but somehow i ended up with a roster (had 1 roster and 13 hens in my original flock).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by