give me do and donts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tlco, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    Just got my first baby chicks In years. Any do don'ts I need to remember. I remember my mama putting out oyster shell for them she said a scratch and a corn mixture call funeral water and they had a big beautiful chicken about 25 chickens 1 roo.I have a much smaller setup 6 chicks and a small coops has a house on top and they can wander around underneath on the bottom matter fact the weather is really bad so I just ran out of the room and lock them in the top out of the weather.I believe them to be a week old one might be a little bit older simply because he's looking a little more rooish. and he's bigger than the rest okay so here's my question our weather is very warm and hot here I was told by them Tractor Supply lady that I shouldn't need a heat source because he is pretty hot right now and it by the time it gets cold which will be January February March they should be able to maintain their heat source. the one I raise chickens with my great-grandmother and my grandmother and my mother we never did anything extraordinary just think it's cratch when they were younger then a laying blend when got ready to start laying and some oyster shell freshwater hey and a big head cover. is there anything I should be doing to help them along I see foods with added vitamins and other medications but those old good friend with no medications at it and just normal water I read somewhere that apple cider vinegar to help them stay healthy what do you guys think I'll try to post to the pics but am having trouble on here I think it's giving me a hard time letting me post

2. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    [​IMG]

The r the new babies...pic of coup to follow

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Tico, I recommend that you start your babies with chick starter crumble. You can choose medicated or un-medicated. Depending on who you talk to, they will tell you to go one way or the other. I prefer unmedicated, and choose to let my chicks develop a natural immunity to the cocci organisms that are in ALL soils and are even naturally found in chicken guts. If your birds have exposure to soil, and are not kept in wet conditions (think muddy run that is laden with lots of chicken poop) they should be fine. Scratch feed is meant to be used as a treat, and does not have the vitamins and minerals and protein that your chicks need to be able to grow into healthy layers. Back in your Grand mother's day, she likely let her chickens wander, so they got to eat lots of insects and lizards, grubs, and grass. Chickens confined to a coop/run do not have that luxury.

4. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    Thank you LG for all the info sorry my post was so long and dull of bad typos. No due to restrictions they can't run free but I plan on giving them fresh greens when bigger. There is no meds in their crumble. Also they do have access to dirt and grass..run is clean of chicken droppings for now as its new and will move coop around as needed along with daily cleaning. Should I look into getting them some type of live worms crickets at Some point. Sorry for all the quedtions

5. peanutsqaush

peanutsqaush Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Leicester, MA
    So following up on this post my 11 yr old son just won 5 chicks from the fair and here we are starting a coop. We don't know the sexes and they could be as old as 6 days now. They are currently occupying our plastic pool now and we need to build a coop and get the proper supplies. Any advice would be appreciated especially for food choices and things to do for survival in our New England environment.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    ?'s are fine. that's how we all learn. Great that you can move your coop (a portable coop is often called a tractor). I wouldn't spend the money on buying worms or crickets, unless you have money that you want to spend for the entertainment value. but, I'm pretty tight fisted with my pennies! They should be able to find insects outside.

7. Tlco

Tlco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    Buffalo tx
    [​IMG]

I only wanted 3 chicks but Tractor Supply said had to get six..when they are little bigger and I can tell of. I have a roo in the bunch 4 sex link and. 2 wait and see..my mother will be taking 3 around November. ..hopefully they will not out grow coop by then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by