give me hope! how tough are they?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cracked_egg, Jun 5, 2010.

1. cracked_egg

cracked_egg Chirping

Jun 2, 2010
    Ok, so, I have big problems, dog got into coop. I know some of the chicks got out, BUT I can't seeem to find them... I went through their coop again and found 2 more (dead) that were under some of the hay..... So, there are still 10 missing.... I know some got out cuz Gretta came up to me from outside, but she's the only one I have out of 25.... (She was friendliest...

So my question is: how hardy are they at three weeks? I had a huge rain fall, but I do have quite a few buildings and the barn their coop/stall was in is rather large, so they *could* be in there somewhere, or they could be outside.... Is there ANY chance that they'll survive? It is warm here, but still it was a heavy rain...

2. Will they come back to the coop after having such a bad experience in there...

2. cicene mete

cicene mete Songster

Jun 19, 2008
    When my first batch were about three weeks old, they survived a hawk attack. They froze in the bushes completely. I mean no movement for several hours. I managed to find them all and get them back inside, but it was not easy. I don't know if yours would come back, but I would keep looking around, because although you might have lost some, some chickens can be tough little buggers and can survive more than we think they will.

3. cracked_egg

cracked_egg Chirping

Jun 2, 2010
    Well... I looked all day with no sign of them...then last night I thought I heard them out in the pasture...I walked out there, got soaked, but whatever it was I was pushing it farther and farther.... And it could have been a kill deer or two... And of course my grass is so high in that pasture there was no way to see them [​IMG] so, it poured rain all day yesterday and last night...so, I'm guessing I'm down to only 1 [​IMG]

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Hang in there....A dog got into my coop one day and killed a few, but some got away and they didn't come back for several days...I could hear them in the woods crowing and making noise.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by