give me info and pictures of/about barnevelders!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by safarichick101, Dec 24, 2009.

1. safarichick101

safarichick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    I would like to know more about them

1. are they difficult to show?
    2. are they docile?
    3. Do they lay well?
    4. Are the cocks annoying crowers?

any other info would be greatly appreciated. thanks. [​IMG]

ifeliz navidad!

2. safarichick101

safarichick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    they must be rare or something. :S

3. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:I only have 2 barnevelder hens (probably hatchery quality) and don't breed or show them, so I may not be able to give you the best information. But... both are are shy, quiet, gentle chickens - similar to my australorp hen. Both hens have gone broody at less than 1 year old - 1 hen hatched her eggs successfully and was a great mother - the other hen didn't do a very good job with her eggs (she was pretty young though - about 6-7 months old)). They each laid about 4 eggs per week when they first started laying, but now that it's winter, they are not laying much (I haven't been keeping track lately - all my hens have been laying less). One of them lays a darker egg - darker than my barred rock, RIR, black stars, & australorp eggs (Black star & BA eggs are not pictured).

Bottom row - from left to right - 2 barred rock eggs, 1 production red egg, the 2 barnevelder eggs, 1 leghorn egg:
    [​IMG]

My two barnevelders when they were only about 8 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

Penny, the hen with the best lacing and darkest egg:
    [​IMG]

Penny with the australorp chicks she hatched from eggs I bought:
    [​IMG]

4. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

I have a small flock of Barnevelders consisting of two "show type" lines or should I say not from a hatchery but from breeders. I'm really enjoying them.

1. are they difficult to show? Haven't shown before

2. are they docile? Chicks are spunky, adults are friendly, calm and curious

3. Do they lay well? Good winter/cool weather layers of good sized eggs. I've heard that they don't lay well in hot weather. My pullets are laying 3-4 eggs per week. Egg color can range from light brown to medium brown.

4. Are the cocks annoying crowers? Mine is pretty quiet with a nice deep "voice". He doesn't crow all day. Not very aggressive

Here is a picture of my eggs. Pictured Left to Right: The green eggs are EE eggs. The small light tan eggs are from a wyandotte pullet. The 3 darker brown eggs in the middle are from Barnevelder pullets from one line. The medium brown on the right from Barnevelder pullets from another line.

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of some of my Barnies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by