Give me the run down on runners

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensandmore, Dec 1, 2008.

1. chickensandmore

chickensandmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Spiro Ok
    I just got 2 pairs so give me the dirt please

Don [​IMG]

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    what colors do you have? how old are they? I have two runners who are 4 months old, one brown one fawn/white. they are currently walking behind me quacking to get me to get them a treat, lol.

If there anything in particular you are wondering about? I can probably answer most questions you have...

3. chickensandmore

chickensandmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Spiro Ok
    Quote:I Have fawn/white and they are this years hatch the guy couldn't remember the date but somewhere around 6 months..I'm not wondering anything special just wondering..

Don [​IMG]

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    well if you have females, i'm sure by now you know how loud they can get! To help aleviate the loud non stop quacking, start a schedule and stick to it. feed at certain times, let them out at certain times, put them to "bed" at certain times. And try your hardest not to break your schedule. Make sure they don't get hungry either... if you don't do thingd when they expect you to or if there's no food around when their hungry they will quack really loudly! I had to teach mine that loud quack was unacceptable, esp when they are on the inside patio. I have them taught to stop when they see me pointing at them with an angry face... lol.

They will love peas! I taught mine to jump up to get them, and i also used the peas to teach them how to play with a ball that has a bell in it and a small toy piano. you'll have lots of fun watching them goof around.

Make sure to NEVER chase your ducks, even for a little bit. always approach them slowly and never lunge at them to pick them up. It scares them badly and they are a very skittish breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by