1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Give me you opinions please!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Sep 14, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I am looking to possibly replace 2 of my Jersey Giants with Show Quality JGs!
    Right now I have a trio of blacks but I have been looking at Blues an Splashes and I really like them also!!
    So opinion time!!!
    Would you go with 2 more blacks or 2 more of either Blue or Splash or one of each!?

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:The great thing about Blues and Splash is that you can breed them all back to black. A mix of all would be wonderful!

You can breed them to get these results:

Black X Black= 100% Black
    Blue X Blue = 25%Black, 25%Splash, 50%Blue
    Blue X Black = 50%Black & 50%Blue
    Blue X Splash = 50%Blue & 50%Splash
    Splash X Black = 100%Blue
    Splash X Splash = 100%Splash

3. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:The great thing about Blues and Splash is that you can breed them all back to black. A mix of all would be wonderful!

So I kind of want to get 1 Splash hen and 1 Blue roo an keep my 1 Black hen, I would get BBS!

heres a question I wasnt sure about... In some county shows, they have classes for Best trio... if I have a Blue, a Black and a Splash would that be a DQ since their not all blacks or all blues or all splashes?

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

So I kind of want to get 1 Splash hen and 1 Blue roo an keep my 1 Black hen, I would get BBS!

heres a question I wasnt sure about... In some county shows, they have classes for Best trio... if I have a Blue, a Black and a Splash would that be a DQ since their not all blacks or all blues or all splashes?

A trio would have to consist of only one variety.

5. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:So I kind of want to get 1 Splash hen and 1 Blue roo an keep my 1 Black hen, I would get BBS!

A trio would have to consist of only one variety.

Thats what I thought.. Well back to lookin for black JGs! anyone know anyone who has SQ around PA/MD?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by