Give me you opinions please!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Sep 14, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I am looking to possibly replace 2 of my Jersey Giants with Show Quality JGs!
    Right now I have a trio of blacks but I have been looking at Blues an Splashes and I really like them also!!
    So opinion time!!!
    Would you go with 2 more blacks or 2 more of either Blue or Splash or one of each!?

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:The great thing about Blues and Splash is that you can breed them all back to black. A mix of all would be wonderful!

You can breed them to get these results:

Black X Black= 100% Black
    Blue X Blue = 25%Black, 25%Splash, 50%Blue
    Blue X Black = 50%Black & 50%Blue
    Blue X Splash = 50%Blue & 50%Splash
    Splash X Black = 100%Blue
    Splash X Splash = 100%Splash

3. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:The great thing about Blues and Splash is that you can breed them all back to black. A mix of all would be wonderful!

So I kind of want to get 1 Splash hen and 1 Blue roo an keep my 1 Black hen, I would get BBS!

heres a question I wasnt sure about... In some county shows, they have classes for Best trio... if I have a Blue, a Black and a Splash would that be a DQ since their not all blacks or all blues or all splashes?

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

So I kind of want to get 1 Splash hen and 1 Blue roo an keep my 1 Black hen, I would get BBS!

heres a question I wasnt sure about... In some county shows, they have classes for Best trio... if I have a Blue, a Black and a Splash would that be a DQ since their not all blacks or all blues or all splashes?

A trio would have to consist of only one variety.

5. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:So I kind of want to get 1 Splash hen and 1 Blue roo an keep my 1 Black hen, I would get BBS!

A trio would have to consist of only one variety.

Thats what I thought.. Well back to lookin for black JGs! anyone know anyone who has SQ around PA/MD?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by