Give me your crock pot recipes!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Frozen Feathers, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Hey all. I just got a crock pot (slow cooker) and am looking for any recipes to use with it. My DH made baked beans, which were alright, but he thinks he knows better then the recipe [​IMG] and they were too salty for my taste.
    Anyhoo, stews, soups, casserole type stuff, chicken or not, I'd like to try it.
    Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2007
  2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Hey, Angie, I posted a great cornbread dressing recipe on the holiday recipe thread. It is great in the crock pot because it stays so moist. Happy cooking.

3. blossom hen

blossom hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    NE Tx
    Go to allrecipes.com and type crock pot in the search. Got 698 recipes when I did just now. This web site is my favorite for finding new things to cook.

4. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I am addicted to the food channel - they have a website too--I'm sure you'll be "bam"in things in your crock pot in no time! I love mine for field peas, meatballs, chili, soup, stew, roast beef, apple butter......

5. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    My favorite crockpot recipe is APPLESAUCE!!! Peel, core and chop about 10 apples. Put them in your crockpot with about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of water and cook on low for about 6 hours. Stir in 1/4 cup of sugar and cook another 1/2 hour. When it's done you can add a small amount of cinnamon if you want. Refridgerate or use it warm on ice cream.

6. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Our favorite is to buy a combo beef/pork roast and through it in with one onion quartered one can of mushrooms (both are optional) and one envelope of lipton onion/mushroom soup mix (any flavor you want will work) with enough water or beef broth to just cover the meat. You can add 1/2ed taters and or baby carrots too, but they will be pretty mushy after 8 to 10 hours on low. I usually add the veggies after 4 hours if I can. YUMMY

7. Sherriekim

Sherriekim Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Southwest Idaho
    Hi Angie, this is my absulute favorite crockpot recipe. I love to make this for company in the winter because I can do it up ahead that morning and just have everybody grab a bowl and serve themselves. We like to do it kind of like nachos, layer crushed totilla chips, the chilli, grated cheese, sour cream and even sliced olives. I've doubled this for 10 people (i have the really big crockpot) and just had each guest bring one of the "extras" ie..sour cream, the olives, etc... kind of like a pot luck. It was a big hit! Even the kids liked it.

Taco Chilli

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 pkg (1 1/4 oz) taco seasoning mix
    2 cans (14.5 oz ea.) diced tomatoes
    1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies
    1 can (15 to 16 oz) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can (15 oz) chili beans in sauce
    1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
    shredded cheese (mozzarella, Monterey Jack or Cheddar)
    tortilla chips, slightly crushed
    PREPARATION:
    In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion, one-half at a time, till meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain off fat. Transfer to a 3 1/2- to 5-quart crockery cooker.
    Stir in dry taco seasoning mix, diced tomatoes, diced tomatoes with green chilies, pinto beans, chili beans in chili sauce, and corn.

Cover; cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.

BTW, my DH doesn't like the corn, works with or without it just as easy. Hope you like it! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  8. fosterchick

fosterchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I make stuff peppers. Then put them in the crock pot with tomato sauce. Then in the evening I serve this wonderful meal that seems like I slaved over it.

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Here's one of my favs - lazy man's dumplings. If you like mushy dumplings with your chicken you'll like this. As you can see from the instructions below, this is NOT a precise or difficult mixture - I just throw a bit of that and a little of this, generally when I cook. Not because I'm all that talented or gormet, just lazy...

Ingredients
    -1 lg bag of egg noodles
    -1-2 cans of creamed soup of whatever kind you like. Cream of Chicken or Celery tend to work better fo my taste, but use your fav. The soup gives it a creamier taste and texture, BUT if you are rummaging around the pantry and can't find any that's OK too, just won't be quite as creamy, and you might need to get more creative (and not so lazy) with the seasoning.
    -1 can of chicken broth - this is encouraged but optional but adds a more chickeny flavor.
    -Salt/pepper & whatever other seasonings you want
    -Veggies (optional) like celery, onion or whatever else goes good with chicken stew
    -Chicken - cooked and deboned.

I put a bag of egg noodles in the crock pot (uncooked). Fill up with water to cover the noodles then add a can of cream of chicken or cream of celery. You can add 2 cans if you want them extra creamy, or use whatever flavor or creamed soup you want - heck, try mushroom if you like that - or if it's the only thing in the pantry. [​IMG]
    Add a can of chicken broth. Add pepper and other seasonings to taste - you could also add whatever veggies you wanted also if you like those flavors. Onions, celery, etc -whatever you like. My kids like it with no veggies (imagine that... [​IMG] )

Anyway, turn on your crock pot for low heat and cook all day, or high heat and cook about 4 hours or so.

When you get home from work (which is the way I used to do it) then all you have to do is stir in some cooked and deboned chicken. You can cook your own chicken ahead of time and store in fridge, or if you are really lazy, just buy the canned chicken from the store and throw in however much you like (1 can or 2 for a whole bag of egg noodles) You can also use leftover roasted chicken or buy one of those rotisserie chickens. If you are really adventurous, you can use your left over t-giving turkey!

The noodles after cooking all day are super mushy and stick together and taste very much like dumplings.

Plus this is a cheap and lazy meal... I like cheap and lazy. Did I mention Lazy?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  10. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I smell that taco chili from SherriKim's house --let's go on over ya'll, I'm sure there's plenty!!....smells good!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by