Give others hope: post your chicken (or other pet) survival story

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Rogue Valley, S. Oregon
    Just how much can our beloved feathered friends take? Someting you never want to think about... all that pain and suffering... untill someone gets hurt and you have to wonder. Would it be kinder to end it now? Is there a chance he/she will pull through, or am I just too scared to put the poor creature out of its misery?

Yesterday I had an 'accidental' dog attack. Our dog and puppy are normally good with chickens (my dog chases raccoons off to save them) but we had a friend's doxy over and he's a chaser. Dogs, being pack animals, do what the other dogs do and the 3 of them got into the chicken yard and ran down 3 hens. One died of her injuries later (much to my dog's dismay) The other two seem to have made it through the night allright, despite missing the skin on the back of their necks. It looks incredibly painful... I don't know how they can still be alive, let alone awake, alert, and mad about being held and examined. We sprayed the wounds with invisible bandage and have them in rabbit cages to keep them safe... but will they make it? Can they grow back that much skin? would stitches help, or would they just rip out?

So I am asking for miracle stories here... give me a sense of what is possible. I know there have to be survivors out there.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2010
  2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

this is NOT my story... it was shared by SeaHen to Unclebean just yesterday... thought it might help...

"We've successfully dealt with a scalped hen that was attacked by other chickens. I'm a big believer in hydrotherapy and have seen it work wonders on all sorts of grotesque wounds, so I would highly recommend it. You simply hold the injured part under warm running water for a few minutes at a time, several times a day (morning and evening, minimum). The principle is that you are mechanically debriding the wound while stimulating healthy tissue to regrow. I used antibiotic ointment between hydro sessions and in the beginning even had to cover the whole back of her head and neck with Liquid Bandage/New Skin because she literally had no skin there at all. Her feathers actually grew back too! Good luck to you!"

thank you SeaHen!
  3. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    I'm sorry to hear about your dog attack. I had a similar experience almost two years ago. A stray dog got under the fence in my run and killed four hens and badly mauled two others. The two that survived had their skin ripped open on their backs. One had her right hip so ripped open that the hip joint was exposed. The other had deep puncture wounds to her cloaca. The vet sewed them up, treated them to antibiotics internally and externally, and we bathed them daily to keep the wounds clean. It cost $600 but both girls are happy and with us today.
    Chickens have a high pain threshold and are remarkable healers. They hide pain and disability very well because they are prey animals and showing weakness invites an attack. Their high body temperature (103deg) also aids in the healing process.
    I hope they pull through with flying colors.
  4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I have read a ton of injury stories on BYC, with most of the results being positive. One thing I've gathered is that chickens are amazingly resilient. Don't give up!
  5. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    I have 2 stories, 1 of a chicken,1 of a turkey. The chicken was a small Phoenix hen named, Grey one. She went missing during the day and we found her that night, the skin from the base of her skull to middle of back was torn loose and hanging. We were freaked beyond words, this was are first injury. We brought her inside the house and washed everything, she was very dirty. We used liquid bandage and gauze on her wound and put her In a box. The first few days were horrible, we were stuck between giving her a chance and putting her down. By the 5th day she was back to her normal snotty self. We never found out what happened to her but, my bet Is a small hawk.

P.s Can I put a turkey story here?
  6. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Apr 30, 2009
    Rogue Valley, S. Oregon
    Turkeys are birds too. I am sure its valid... in fact, any survival stories are welcome. Maybe they won't help ME, but if others stumble upon this thread while trying to make the call about putting their injured pet down, maybe we can save lives.
  7. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    OK, here It goes! I was working with my father few years ago. (We were working out In the middle of nowhere) About an hour after we arrived we saw a wild turkey, I didn't think about It and we got back to work. Towards the end of the day I finished work and decided to wander the neighboring woods. I was halfway down the drive way when I saw the turkey again, laying camouflaged on the ground, so I went over to look at her. When I approached she didn't move, the whole side of her face was horribly injured and her eye was gone. I ran back to the house and told my father, he came down and I picked her up, to our surprise there were 4 eggs under her. She did not struggle at all, she was very thin. We picked her up, wrapped her In a towel and grabbed her eggs. When we got home I brought her In and cleaned her face, It was really bad the eye was completely gone. Her eggs were stuck In a box with a lamp, at this point in time we had no idea what to do, we had no Idea what to do with the eggs, we were lost. But for some reason 3 of them pipped, and hatched. For 2 years we had wild turkeys wandering are yard It was awesome until, hunters called them over to the corner of our property.(We heard the turkey calls) We never found out who did It, but they were wild, so what could we do. We were left with one very sad male turkey wandering around.

P.s Matilda, the mother turkey healed completely, and as far as we know, she could still be out there somewhere.

P.s.s During the 2 years of over friendly wild turkeys, all doors to the inside had to be shut and bird feeders hidden. [​IMG]
    They were great and Inspired us to start our own turkeys.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

On June 12th - just over a month ago! - on a horribly windy day, sustained winds of 23 mph and gusts to 35 mph, one of my hens was blown off the edge of the 300 gallon stock tank set up as a pool for my two ducks. She liked to walk up the ramp/steps and drink from it, as did several other chickens. Unfortunately, she was blown INTO the stock tank, and was unable to get back out of it. I did not witness this event, but discovered her cold, floating body later.

I posted this story:

those who do not want to go to the original post, let me say she survived her near drowning. And I have since drained and moved the tank and will be constructing a "wildlife escape ramp" before I fill it again. I have the parts I need; just need a way to bend the expanded metal grate to make the rescue ramp. Meanwhile, the ducks have had to make do with a kiddie pool.
  9. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Apr 30, 2009
    Rogue Valley, S. Oregon
    So far, so good.
    Morning number two had my 2 injured hens alive and alert. My roomie thinks we can take the less-injured one out of quarantine soon. We have a pen of 6 week olds we can try putting her with to keep the rooster off her till she is fully healed while still letting her be a chicken again. Right now both are in rabbit cages and have been rinsed in warm water and had the invisible bandage applied again. One of them rather enjoyed the shower, and both look much better than yesterday. I am glad we decided to give them a chance!
  10. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Well I have chased off a fox with a chicken in it's mouth twice, and both survived. One had a couple teeth marks, the other was missing it's entire tail. The one without a tail seems to have had a few other close calls too, because she has come into the coop at night missing some feathers.

Last year I had a predator attack and my favorite hen went missing, so we assumed she had been eaten. Over a week later she showed up fatter than ever with no injuries. Must have had a good week munching on frogs and bugs in our swampy front woods!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by