Give that rooster a prize!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rocketdog, Dec 18, 2014.

1. rocketdog

rocketdog In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2014
    So yesterday, as I was dealing with Christmas decorations, I heard a ruckus in the yard. I looked out the kitchen window, and saw several of my chickens running toward the house, panicked. I scanned the field for a predator, but couldn't see any. Then my "Lucky Roo" went flying across the driveway with his hackles up, looking absolutely majestic. I rushed outside, and saw my rooster fending off a hawk that was attempting to abscond with one of my babies (3 months old). I'm not sure if the hawk took off because I was approaching, or the rooster had actually defeated it, but I was so proud of my boy, and ecstatic that he protected the baby, even though she is actually not one of his "girls", yet. I had never witnessed anything like this...so impressive! I scooped up the little girl and took her inside to calm her down and check for damage. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Yes, although no contact seen between rooster and hawk, all display even though rooster more than willing to carry fight into actual contact. I suspect more common than we think but everything happens very fast and most attacks occur when we are not watching.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have witnessed the same activity.

4. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Songster

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    That's GREAT!

Never actually seen it before ... what breed is your "Lucky Roo"?

5. rocketdog

rocketdog In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2014
    I've always thought he was a Dominique, but he doesn't have a rose comb, so does that mean he's a barred Rock?

6. Naser

Naser Songster

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    X2

7. RedJungleFowl

RedJungleFowl Songster

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    Show us a picture :)

8. rocketdog

rocketdog In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2014
    Here is a pic of my Lucky Roo. He got his name because he was attacked by a dog last summer when he was only about 4 months old, and survived. My gold laced wyandotte was not so fortunate. Now it seems he has cheated death once again, and saved one of my girls in the process!

9. What an awesome thing to see. I don't have a rooster but can picture it.
    Of course you gave him a treat for that! You know he deserves it.

10. rocketdog

rocketdog In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2014
    My babies get treats every day! I get scraps from a local restaurant. They especially enjoy spaghetti noodles, they think they have a worm, and will chase each other for it! But they are pasture raised, so they eat whatever they find, also layer crumbles are available at all times, and I supplement with scratch grains. What breed does he look like to you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: