Give this newbie all of your chick advice, please!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Anna_MN, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    My first chicks EVER will be arriving at the post office on February 20th! My countdown has begun. I am so excited to get them but I have never had my own chicks to care for 24/7 before. I started with full grown hens. This thread is for any and all advice you are willing to give me about raising baby chicks! Please- be respectful and kind of others opinions! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from North MS!!! Glad you joined! Good luck with your new chicks!!! 1 trick I always use when I have chicks is to get some marbles and put it in whatever you use to give them water, this keeps them from drowning themselves, and the marbles usualy catch there eye and they will peck at them, which helps them find there water. [​IMG]

4. ipie68

ipie68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
  5. Hodawg

Hodawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:^This. The BYC Learning Center is about as good as it gets. The stuff there, as well as the rest of the info provided by our members here, is absolutely priceless. My wife and I have only been at the whole chicken thing for about 3 months now, but from the information that we have gleaned from this website alone...we are already heads and shoulders above some folks that we know who were raised around chickens all of their lives.

Beers y'all,
    Ken

6. CntryGrlFrmTheCty

CntryGrlFrmTheCty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2011
    Whittemore, Iowa
    Quote:I am in the same boat, well kind of lol I haven't started my flock yet. I will be as soon as the hubby and I can find a house with some property. My momma is helping me get started though but I am still looking for any advice I can get.

7. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    I just read their article- very interesting and informative. Thanks! Any personal experience that isn't addressed on there?

Quote:^This. The BYC Learning Center is about as good as it gets. The stuff there, as well as the rest of the info provided by our members here, is absolutely priceless. My wife and I have only been at the whole chicken thing for about 3 months now, but from the information that we have gleaned from this website alone...we are already heads and shoulders above some folks that we know who were raised around chickens all of their lives.

Beers y'all,
    Ken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by