Given birth to 4 healthy sons but incubating eggs....yikes!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by texastinsel, Aug 20, 2011.

1. texastinsel

texastinsel Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Hello yall!! I am a bit overwhelmed...hilarious coming from a mom to four sons ranging in age from 4 - 16! Yet, no matter how much I research poultry breeds, directions for incubating, candling, hatching, etc...the more I become the proverbial 'Mother Hen!' with my chicken eggs.

Any advice on candling will be greatly appreciated. I have searched through a gazillion posts/photos on here as well as the internet at large, and am still struggling with which ones are viable in my incubator. It breaks my heart to have to discard any, although I am also eeeked-out by the thought of one exploding. Three eggs thus far have had to be disposed.

I am hooked on this forum! My husband and sons think it's hilarious that I oooh and aaah over the mere splendid variation in egg color. God is good and full of many a splendor!

God bless

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Hi there! [​IMG] And welcome to you [​IMG] You'll get better responses to your concerns if you post your question under the "Incubating" section (look in the Index). Wish I could help, but I've never gone that route for chicks before (although I can imagine how stressful it must be).

3. texastinsel

Jul 5, 2011
    Thank you! I will do just that and hopefully will get some responses. [​IMG]

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Haven't been brave enough to incubate.... & my husband says no more this year anyway!
    God is good... all the time!
    [​IMG]

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. I use a bright LED flashlight that I got from dollar general for candling & it works well enough I can see through dark Easter Egger eggs. I try not to candle until day 7, though, & if there are any that I'm unsure about I leave them in the incubator (as long as they don't have an odor, though) until day 14 (when I candle again). The exploding ones are bad, though. We had a goose egg to burst this year & that was the worst smell ever [​IMG] Thankfully, we only ended up losing one egg because of it, & the smell was gone after airing the house out for a couple of hours.
    Have you checked out the candling thread on here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876 Lots of great pics on it.
    Good luck [​IMG]

7. texastinsel

Jul 5, 2011
    Weimermama,

Thanks! I have read and reread that thread so many times....I think I may actually be overthinking it all. [​IMG] Where in Alabama? Weather crazy there right now?

8. texastinsel

Jul 5, 2011
    chi-rn,

Yes! My husband is wondering why in the world I have so many eggs in the incubator!!! Well....with my four sons and his son....we consume lots of eggs! Hopefully, this will be a great endeavor:D

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Quote:SE Alabama. It's been very hot & humid & I can't wait for wintertime [​IMG]

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by