Given goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by heatherndoug, Dec 21, 2010.

1. heatherndoug

heatherndoug Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Newberry
    I was given two 3-4 month old goats. One is a Nigerian(Simon) the other is a Pygmy(Spooky) . Both are male. The Nigerien is very sweet but still a bit stand offish. The Pygmy is well scared to death of anything except Simon. I have been looking to get a female for them but am running into so many negative people. I want a good milker. I want to get at least one maybe two. I was going to venture into a larger breed but am getting chastised by some local farms. I want these for us, not any show or clubs. I have seen it can be done. You can mix a Nigerien with a Nubian and get smaller goats. I guess my question is really what to do. Yes I am looking for female Nigerians but is it REALLY so wrong to mix breed them. I do have a friend who adopted a Pit/chihuahua mix and she is WONDERFUL! My other option is just sell these kids and buy a small herd of Nubians.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Do what you feels best. . .

The best new breed out there, the Kinder, is based off of crossing Pygmies and Nubians. . . And they're a midsized milker with amazingly excellent, rich, fatty milk. Best out there in my opinion. [​IMG]

3. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    Ditto what illia said and adding that mini nubians are a cross of nubian and nigerian dwarf. I am not sure if you are only getting a couple of does if you would want to keep 2 stinky smelly onry bucks around. I would wether one and keep the other intact.

Which one depends on what you want to do. Do you want to eat your extra males? If so I would keep the pygmy as your buck. He will put a little more meat on your dairy animal even though they will be smaller. If you want mini milkers and sell the extra males as pets. Then I would keep your Nigerian Dwarf as a buck.

But a warning bucks are NOT for everyone. I was very lucky this year with my young boy. He didn't make himself as stinky as a fully mature one. During rut a buck will pee all over himself and stink like crazy. You will also have to have an escape proof enclosure for him and his buddy (preferably a wether) because you don't want to keep a buck with your milking does. You won't be able to use the milk if you do.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Ditto. At first when young they will seem cute, then they'll change. Some will still stay very friendly, some won't, but either way - They will indeed pee on themselves, do other disgusting behaviors, be absolute escape artists, and stink like one could not imagine.

Also, keep bucks away from does when milking. Not only does it distract and cause a stinky mess but it causes the milk to taste horribly disgusting.

I keep my bucks FAR away from the does, off in their own place. They can live together if they grow up together, but unless you've got a breeding program going on, you only need one buck. The other you can castrate, and solve all the issues.

5. heatherndoug

Nov 26, 2010
    Newberry
    I really only wanted a girl for milking. I am not sure about the eating of the goat. I really am not interested in a smelly buck, our neighbor has one and MAN does he smell. OK, so I again took something without researching it enough. I am from a huge city, and wasnt brought up doing this. I only came to enjoy my hens later in life and wanted to venture out. UGH! OK start over. Anyone want to trade two perfectly good males for one female.....

6. Lifesong Farm

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    Goats don't do well by themselves. I would get one or both of them wethered and figure out wich one you want to keep to be a companion to your new doe.

A suggestion for your doe when you get one. Get the best quality one you can get. When its time to breed her find a good quality buck to breed her to. That way it will be easier for you to sell the kids. You can call your local extension office to find your local 4-H goat leader. They may be able to help you out.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  7. heatherndoug

Nov 26, 2010
    Newberry
    Quote:Yeah I have seen this with them. Spooky doesn't like humans and will follow Simon around anywhere. Simon is OK with us for the most part. I figure two does. Or just wether the boys to keep with her. I prefer to just start over though with a new pair of does.

8. Lifesong Farm

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    Whatever you decide good luck. I hope you find what you are wanting.

9. heatherndoug

Nov 26, 2010
    Newberry
    Quote:Thank you. Is there a such thing as a Goat Mentor LOL. So that I can call an emergency hotline next time I am given things.

10. Lifesong Farm

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    Quote:Thank you. Is there a such thing as a Goat Mentor LOL. So that I can call an emergency hotline next time I am given things.

ROFLMAO my poor poor mentor. She has even come over because I asked. I don't know how many times I have called her just to ask another question. I had an awsome buck fall into my lap and I need help with his scurs. The vet didn't do the disbudding properly so now she is going to have me bring him over to redo it. My aunts friend had a goat given to her and she let me bring her over for a conformation eval. She has always been available for questions and help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by