Giving 4 week old chicks to broody hen

arlann

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2017
Hey all! I was given 4 baby chicks that are about 4 weeks old. I have a silkie hen that has been broody about a week. We moved her to a secluded area away from the flock to sit. We would like to give the babies to this mama to raise but are they too old? I've googled around and found good things about giving broody hens 1-2 day old chicks but haven't had success finding anything on older chicks.

Thanks!

Hey all! I was given 4 baby chicks that are about 4 weeks old. I have a silkie hen that has been broody about a week. We moved her to a secluded area away from the flock to sit. We would like to give the babies to this mama to raise but are they too old? I've googled around and found good things about giving broody hens 1-2 day old chicks but haven't had success finding anything on older chicks.

Thanks!
4 weeks old is just to old---Neither will probably accept the other. Brood them in a set-up brooder---they will be perfectly fine with you being their Mother!!

Dang. It was worth a shot. I don't mind raising them. It's the integrating them into the flock that always makes me nervous. I always get a little too attached. Oh well. Can't be helped. Thanks y'all!

I have given a bantam hen 4 week old chicks before, the mom and the chicks loved it.

Today I just gave a broody hen 7 baby roosters (mail order) that were 4 weeks old. The nest box is dark and has a door. The chicks dove under her and she let it happen, the chicks had never had a mom, but seemed to know what she was there for. In the morning I will move her to a private sun porch, I hope all goes well, but if it doesn't, she did get roosters.
dawnacus 466.jpg
dawnacus 548.jpg

Dang. It was worth a shot. I don't mind raising them. It's the integrating them into the flock that always makes me nervous. I always get a little too attached. Oh well. Can't be helped. Thanks y'all!
I know what you mean. I always keep them separated with chicken wire until they are closer in size, then start putting them together while outside. After about a week of that, they usually integrate without a huge hassle. Having them visible but out of reach makes the he's get used to having them around.

A snow storm at our house yesterday, and the hen in the sun room with the rooster chicks this morning.
dawnacus 551.jpg
dawnacus 552.jpg
She has 6 but you only see 3!

It went so well with the 4 week old, 6 rooster chicks, I gave her 16, four week old
dawnacus 553.jpg
pullets chicks to boot. (22 total).

Last edited:
At this stage she doesn't have to teach them to eat, or drink, just keep them warm, she has stayed in the same spot all day chicks have crawled under her and hopped on top.

Back
Top Bottom