Giving a broody different chicks?

Animalian

Songster
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Australia
First the info:

I have a first time PR broody with eggs due to hatch this weekend, the chicks will be EE's, almost definately black.

I have a wonderful breeder who I have got perfectly healthy chicks from before who is hatching at the moment too.

And the Question:

The day the eggs hatch, if I went to my breeder to get some day olds and slipped them under her that night, would she notice in the morning? I would like pale pekins or silkies, would this be too obviously different from the black chicks? Also the EE's are "Semi' bantam so will be a bit bigger than the other chicks.

Is this too much of a risk with a first time broody? I'm amazed how well she's sat through the entire 21 days (half expected her to give up like my RIR did!) she still shows no sign of quitting and let me have it when I dusted and cleaned her broody cage today

I put turkens and a cornish X under my broody BO mama 2 wks ago, she only hatched out 1 chick of her own, and she took right to them.. Just rub them on her really good and she should be fine.. She just wants to be a mom, she doesn't care what her chicks look like..

I put turkens and a cornish X under my broody BO mama 2 wks ago, she only hatched out 1 chick of her own, and she took right to them.. Just rub them on her really good and she should be fine.. She just wants to be a mom, she doesn't care what her chicks look like..

We routinely put polish chicks under our brown egg layers - talk about not looking right! And we've had them be mixes of standard and bantum too. Jessica's right, your broody just wants to be a momma, it won't matter. Be sure to slip them under her at night though, I tried it in the daytime once and it didn't work.

Good luck, and enjoy all the babies!!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom