Giving a broody hen chicks before 21 days

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
So i am in a weird situation where i have some eggs in the incubator that are on day6 and one of my hens has gone broody. In order to let nature run its course i have placed a few eggs underneath her as well but was wondering if i can switch them out with the chicks that will hatch in around 15days or so and put the eggs unde the current hen (day1) in the incubator instead.

Like that i dont have to keep chicks under a brooder and can let the mama hen look after them instead ?

I'd try it. Since you are dealing with living animals nobody can give you any guarantees but I'd expect you to be successful. My broody hens never hatch on the 21st day of being broody. I wait a couple of days to assure they are broody before I give them eggs to hatch and it's often five or seven days later that I have enough. I usually set some eggs in the incubator when I give some to the hen so I'm sure some will hatch and she'll get to raise some even if there is a problem. I've had hens raise as many as 16 chicks this way when I'm successful.

I don't believe hens can count that well if at all. If she will accept chicks after 28 days why won't she accept them after 15 days? I personally think the thought that a hen counts the days of being broody are way overblown.

There is a chance a hen will not accept chicks that hatch under her at exactly 21 days so you have that to deal with. You are never always going to be successful. But I think your biggest risk is that she will not accept the second batch of chicks, she may imprint on the first chicks and not accept the others. I'd still try it to see if it works. It could.

I think as long as the hen has been sitting for at least a week, there is a good chance of it working.
When I did this, (somewhere between days 10 and 18, I can't remember exactly) she took slightly longer to except them, looking a bit puzzled at first.
But except them she did. Just keep an eye on them, until she starts clucking in a mother hen voice.

Thanks for all the lovely comments. As always learning a lot from you all and appreciate the different anecdotes and personal insights!

So i am in a weird situation where i have some eggs in the incubator that are on day6 and one of my hens has gone broody. In order to let nature run its course i have placed a few eggs underneath her as well but was wondering if i can switch them out with the chicks that will hatch in around 15days or so and put the eggs unde the current hen (day1) in the incubator instead.

Like that i dont have to keep chicks under a brooder and can let the mama hen look after them instead ?
I've done it... My broody hen was sitting on unfertilized eggs and I think it was 18 days I bought chicks gave it to her and it broke her broodiness.. I read somewhere that as long as she hears chicks chirping that would actually activate mommy mode and break her broodiness

Back
Top Bottom