Giving a broody Muscovy hen newly hatched ducklings. Will it work?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kuntrygirl, May 18, 2011.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have a broody Muscovy hen that has put in her time and diligently sat on her eggs for weeks. She decided to make her nest in the chicken yard in an empty water trough. She layed about 12 eggs before deciding to go broody. Being as though it is VERY difficult to move a broody hen let alone candle the eggs, I wasn't able to move her and her nest. However, I was able to finally take a look at her eggs while she left to eat, drink and take a dip in the pool. Well, lo and behold, I found that most of the eggs are duds. Her scheduled hatch date is this week but I don't think that any of the eggs will hatch. I have a few new ducklings and a few more hatches scheduled for this week. I was wondering, if I could slip 2 or 3 newly hatched ducklings under her and fool her into thinking that she hatched the babies. Has anyone ever tried this? Do you think that it will work? I feel so sorry for her and at the same time, I want to reward her for being a good broody girl. It's not her fault the eggs were duds.

Any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    The hen will have no problem taking the ducklings. The ducklings may have a problem taking her as mom. Ducks imprint very quickly after hatch. If you can put some just hatched ducklings under her it should be no problem though.

3. Lund Poultry

Lund Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, WI
    I think you have a muscovy hen. what breed of duck are you going to put under her? Reason I ask is sometimes a scovy female will kill other ducklings. I think it is because a baby duck and a baby scovy make totally different sounds. This is just my experience, anyone else? Let us know how it goes.

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I have all muscovy ducks, so the ducklings would be muscovys.

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I didn't realize that ducks imprint very quickly. Uh on. I hope I am able to do this. I'm scared. [​IMG]

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I've never done it, but I've heard plenty of success stories. My understanding is that it's best to slip them under her after dark. The ducklings will be sleepy at that point anyway and I don't think they'll protest. My ducklings always want to chase the older ducks, even after they've been raised in the house. I really don't see it being a problem. Let us know how it turns out!

7. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    Or couldnt you just take her eggs out and slip the eggs what are fertile under her ?

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I thought about putting more fertile eggs under her but that means she will have to sit another 30+ days for them to hatch. I hate to see her go through that again. I really believe that all of the eggs are duds. I couldn't stay at her nest for too long because I didn't want to upset her as she was going to return soon. I checked about 7 of her eggs and none of them showed signs of life. [​IMG]

9. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Quote:My momma muscovey has currently hatched and is taking care of 2 beautiful runner babies. They are over a week old now and no problems at all she loves them.

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:My momma muscovey has currently hatched and is taking care of 2 beautiful runner babies. They are over a week old now and no problems at all she loves them.

Did she hatch the runner babies herself or did you slip the babies under her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by