Giving a Christmas Present to the Girls!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 77horses, Dec 22, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Hey everyone! I have a great idea! I have heard that hens/pullets that are laying need lots of calcium; we feed ours layer's mash. But, I have also heard that plain yogurt is great for them, too! So, since our Red Stars(2) and Buff Orpingtons(2) have been working really hard lately(One day we got 8 eggs; 8 eggs from 4 pullets!? lol) [​IMG] I'm going to get them a tub of plain yogurt for a Christmas present this year! [​IMG] This may sounds crazy to some(not me! lol) but we have one stocking for all of our 6 adult chickens, and one mini-stocking for our two baby chicks! [​IMG] I'm gonna put the yogurt into the chicken's stocking, but i haven't figured out what to put in the two baby chick's stocking. [​IMG]
    I can't wait until Christmas! The chickens can even enjoy the holidays now! [​IMG] [​IMG]

***If you have any ideas of what we could put into the baby chick's stocking, please let me know! [​IMG] Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Sounds Excellent to me,

My girls had their yogurt today... with some spaghetti. believe me the present will be for you measured in laughter.

My 4 get so excited when it is yogurt time, i took out the dish this morning and they come running, then they slurp it up and splash it everywhere.

They have it in their feathers, on their feet and they help each other to clean beaks... lol.... amazing.

It was a treat because all 4 of them laid this morning for the first time. lol..

How about getting the little ones their own lettuce they can play football with or something...lol.

Jena.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    77-

Your so funny !!!!

4. speedyjones

speedyjones Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2008
    North Carolina
    What kind of yogurt do they eat...plain? Do all chickens like plain yogurt? If so, I'd like to get Speedy some.

When I eat peach yogurt she always wants to help me. She eats it from my spoon. If I just give her some in a dish, she only eats a little.

5. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:I think they like all flavors; i have just heard that plain is fine for them. [​IMG] Maybe u should try mixing it with other stuff like crushed egg shells? That would be a very high-calcium treat! lol [​IMG]

Oh and [​IMG]

6. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks! lol [​IMG]

7. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    ideas for the chicks (if they're old enough... i think ours were about 4-5weeks old when they started getting goodies): mealworms? ours used to go NUTSO for them. it was hilarious!!!! should be able to buy them at your local pet store - just make sure you get the small mealworms and not the KING mealworms... those might be a little large for the babies (and they scare ME - so i can only imagine what they'd look like to chicks... lach ness monsters or something...). if the babies aren't old enough for mealworms, maybe just a little bit of scrambled egg? although... that might be kind of gross in a stocking... maybe in a plastic baggie with a bow??? [​IMG] a little grated cheese? tiny bits of chopped broccoli florets? all of those are still favorites of our ladies... a gross mixture of all of the above?

and our girls go crazy for plain yogurt - i wouldn't give them flavored yogurt on a regular basis (but i have when i was out of "peep yogurt"), just because i think it has too much sugar for them. they get a bowl of yogurt every morning. they also like cottage cheese, but i don't give it as often because it's got higher sodium.

merry christmas to you and your chickens!

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    There's nothing crazy about giving your critters Yuletime gifts. They are part of your family, so why not?
    Charlie dog is getting a bag of her favorite cookies, Jake the border collie is getting a new stuffed animal, and Killer Kitty is getting an extra large jar of Pounce kitty treats. All these gifts are wrapped and under the tree.
    I'll be baking the chickens their present tomorrow, a chook cake. I'll have leftover plain yogurt after I make ambrosia for the humans to have on Christmas day, so the chooks will get that as well.
    I don't feed the fruit flavored yogurt much at all. Most of it has alot of artificial sweeteners in it and I really don't think those sweeteners are good for humans, so my animals won't get them either.
    Merry Christmas and a Blessed Yule y'all. [​IMG]

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:The plain, low fat yogurt is great. Mine were eating it around 10 days old. I don't consider it a treat because it's very good for their digestion. If you can afford it you can offer it regularly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by