Giving a poultry presentation to 7th graders

Discussion in 'Geese' started by kaylabeans28, Mar 7, 2015.

1. kaylabeans28

kaylabeans28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodstock, IL
    I am supposed to be giving a poultry presentation on poultry to a group of 7th graders in 2 weeks. I don't want to miss any important information. I am bringing my Barred Rock Rooster, and a Hen. I don't know what breed, so if you could give me suggestions on what breed I should bring along with my Rooster, or of how may I should bring with. I'm bringing a brooder and supplies with, (NO chicks I'm not risking them) Feeders and Waterers, empty feed bags (if possible), supplements, treats, and maybe a few posters with information and pictures on them.. I don't know what else I should bring along with me.. HELP!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What breeds do you have besides your Barred Rock roo? one of each would probably be enough. At the top of this page there is a learning center full of valuable information that would probably help you with your presentation.

3. kaylabeans28

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodstock, IL
    I have lots of breeds..

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well then you decide which hen would look nice with your roo even a Barred Rock hen . I'd dif choose one you know is laid back and wouldn't freak out being around a room full of 7th graders

5. kaylabeans28

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodstock, IL
    Well.. They've been to the fair before.. So I think any would be okay.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds good then which one do you think would look best with your roo? my roo has special ladies he likes over the rest so maybe chose one of your roos favorites to take along.

7. kaylabeans28

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodstock, IL
    He hangs around my other barreds, and the wyandotte roo.. I wanted to be able to show the different combs... hmmm

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So you have your choices and very interesting about combs and wattles too because maybe you can incorporate about the different size wattles and combs and in selecting the breed they maybe interested in and how they fair in a colder climate[ frost bite on large combs and wattles ] versus short combs . especially if they want to show them.

9. kaylabeans28

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodstock, IL
    Exactly!

10. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    I think a polish or silkie would surprise the kids.You can talk about the silkies extra toes and dark skin. And the polishes crest. I think if you brought one crested hen,one hen with extra toes or feathered feet, one rose comb,and one blue egglayer maybe.

I think the barred rock roo is a great choice. Their handsome,and tall, and did i mention good with the ladies.

Maybe you can bring an incubator too and teach the children about the incubation process.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by