Giving a rooster a bath

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kelidei, Dec 26, 2009.

1. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Ok--- I hope this is the right place to ask this weird question... I had to remove my Columbian Wyandotte from the coop. He is in a moult and the others started picking at him and he has a wound near the base of his tail. This is the underdog roo... there was never any issues between him or the alpha because this guy is so completely laid back there was never a challenge--- just the raising of hackles a few times and chest bumping... so I don't think this was anything other than an opportunistic situation. Right now he is in my basement and I would really like to clean him up good and get a good look at the wound. What do you clean a chicken with and what is the best way to do it? Can I use H2O2 to clean the wound... as a nurse I know it is a good antiseptic and wound debrider... at least for humans [​IMG] Also if it is more than a small superficial wound should I give him antibiotics or just treat it topically? He is eating, drinking, pooping and alert and acting normal. I put him on Avia Charge and am giving him extra protein in yogurt and scrambled eggs--- [​IMG]

2. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    sounds like he's healthy enough, except for the wound. Yes, H202 is good in an open wound on chickens just like on other wounded animals, but nah, he probably doesn't need a bath, especially this time of year and especially in Illinois. If the wound turns out to be more than superficial I would go with keeping it cleaned out with the H202, and keep an eye on it. Can he reach it? If he can't reach it the H202 would dry it, I should think. If he CAN reach it, some gooey antibiotic might make it too nasty for him to want to mess with. I read that somewhere here on BYC that the gooey stuff keeps the chickens from picking at each other.

Yogurt and scrambled eggs sounds like something you should be feeding me when I get up there to be your guest!!![​IMG] Lucky roo. But go easy on the yogurt. A little goes a long way. Too much will give him the squits.

3. kelidei

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Thanks possumqueen! I REALLY don't want to bathe him but some of his feathers are so matted--- maybe I will just wait and see if he takes care of it himself. When DH gets home I will have him hold him while I look after the wound. I don't think it is a problem--- I haven't noticed any drainage or fresh blood.

PS--- c'mon up anytime---- unfortunately if it's today you'd have to bring a snow shovel to get in my driveway! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  4. Miss Sebright

Miss Sebright Little Hen.....Big Attitude!

Apr 3, 2009
    In a nutshell
    When my birds get a bit dirty they take a shower with me.

5. kelidei

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Hmmmmmm.... actually we have a walk in shower in the basement.... that might convince DH I have totally lost it though![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by