1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Giving a shot to a 3 week old chic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sandyd, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Sandyd

Sandyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I have a 3 week old chic which all of a sudden has developed a popeye. Her eye is opaque. I have been putting antibiotic ointment in it for 2 days - 3 times a day and have on hand penecillin (long acting) or tylan. They are on the medicated chick starter. This is one of 40 red star laying hens. They have been vaccinated for Mareks before I received them at one day old. How much can I give her of the penecillin and where would I inject it? I usually give kittens and puppies shots under the skin. I have a insulin syringe I can use that I have on hand for little animals. I am going to stop and pick up a bag of gamebird starter with higher medication in it. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Would a warm compress help at all?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Could you post a pic of it? For injections I always tent up the skin over the shoulders across the back...insulin needles are great for chicks...but penicillin is thick, so I dont think it would go through a small needle. You could put some in a bottle cap and dip the chicks beak in it.

3. Sandyd

Sep 12, 2012
    My husband gave a shot to her yesterday afternoon. I did not have a chance to take a picture of her eye last night after work. This morning I looked at her before work and her eye seems less swelled and better looking. I will keep watch on her. Thankyou for inquiring.

4. Sandyd

Sep 12, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Got help taking a pic of the bad eye. Shot was given Monday and this is Wed. Not as swollen but still not good, still putting ointment in also. Any suggestions what I can do next. More shots? She is quite a bit smaller than her other sisters. Tends to stay away from them a lot.
    [​IMG]

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Oooooo that looks like it popped out of socket somehow. I've never popped one back in...... I would think cold compresses, slick it up with neosporine or terrimycian ointment and massage it to see if it would pop back in. How long has it been this way... Poor baby.

6. Sandyd

Sep 12, 2012
    It has been this way since Saturday. I have been putting neosporin on it 2 times a day plus she had the shot of penicillan Monday afternoon. All of my years around chickens I have not seen anything like this. I didn't notice it before but there is 40 babies running around. I will try to put cold compress on it after work on Thursday as I won't have time besides more neosprin in the morning. Have you seen or heard of the eye popping out on a chic? I will try to lightly massage it with the ointment. Thankyou so much for responding to me. I appreciate it.

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I think I had one long ago but it was a young chick and I think it was more a deformity. I wish I had more advice. If you have a vet you trust, perhaps they may offer a suggestion. I have no idea how it could have happened besides a weak eye muscle. So sorry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by