Giving amoxicillin cattle feed to chicken with foot infection.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickeninabiscuit, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Chickeninabiscuit

Chickeninabiscuit New Egg

Sep 22, 2011
    Poor little Hazel, our Rhode Island Red, has something like bumblefoot which has caused her whole foot to be covered in blackish scabs.
    She's 6 months old and this has been going on for weeks, because we kept trying home remedies that helped but did not cure.
    None of our other birds are sick.
    She sometimes picks the scabs or they crack and she bleeds.
    I have no idea how she could've gotten this illness in the first place, but I'm pretty sure it's bumblefoot.
    She drinks a lot of water and has diarrhea only sometimes. She picks all of the corn out of her feed and leaves the seeds(it's a mixture we got from Southern Agriculture), and I noticed that it looks like the seeds are not fully digested when she poos them out.
    My father in-law gave us some amoxicillin feed he uses for his cattle.
    We gave her a small handful a day and oh boy she has been having white liquid poo since we started.
    However, her foot is beginning to heal.

I'm worried we might be giving her too much antibiotic. Is this something we should be more careful with?
    I can't find anything on google about giving cattle antibiotics to a chicken. Or how much to give her.
    My intent is to continue this treatment for 10 days because her foot is finally healing.
    As long as I keep giving her plenty of water, will she be safe from death by dehydration? Should I add salt or sugar to her water to make sure she gets enough electrolytes?
    How much amoxicillin is too much when administered by mouth?

Also, we have been letting her have the run of the garage so she has room to run around separately from the other chickens. Before you ask, yes, all potentially hazardous materials are stored up on shelves where she can't reach them.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sorry you haven't gotten a response. I suspect it's because no one is sure of the answer. I've read a whole lot of posts in Emergencies, and I don't recall anyone ever asking about feeding cattle feed with amoxicillin in it to a chicken. I have no idea whether you are giving too much amoxicillin.

One thing I can say with certainty is that antibiotics often cause diarrhea, and that giving a probiotic to help replace the normal flora that the antibiotic kills is definitely a good idea. Birds are lactose intolerant. Yogurt theoretically has had its lactose broken down by the organisms that made the yogurt, but sometimes it causes diarrhea anyway, for whatever reason.

Electrolytes are sodium, potassium and chloride, not sugar. And diarrhea does deplete them, as you may know. Also, you can overdose an animal on them. I really think you need the feed store preparation. Of course it's probably dosed for cattle or goats or something. If you can't figure out how to convert by weight, perhaps you would get more help with that here.

We are not vets, and so many meds given to chickens are marketed for cattle and the like; it's really a lot of guesswork. Of course taking her to a vet would be ideal, but many members do not do that for various reasons, and we understand if you aren't going to.

Let me give you a couple of threads on bumblefoot. It is usually a staph infection, a very common organism often found living on the skin innocently. Often you need to cut the "core" out. There is another way to treat it with a specific topical medication.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7139022#p7139022

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649&p=1

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

flockwatcher gave you some good links on bumblefoot. I don't know if it's truly bumblefoot since I've never seen the "many scabs" you describe. Usually bumblefoot presents on the bottom of the pad or on top between the toes in one or maybe two scabs where the plug is lurking.

First of all, every antibiotic we give chickens is not made for chickens, but for some other animal. I have no experience with the crumbles, though I've seen them in the feed stores.

Secondly, a staph infection of this sort takes aggressive treatment and you must remove the plug in the foot, not just give oral antibiotics. That won't do it. After treating many cases of bumblefoot over the years in several hens who are chronic with it, I never give antibiotics for bumblefoot anymore- treating the problem directly through surgery and topical antibiotics seems to work much, much better. Unless I felt it was out of hand and going systemic, I wouldn't personally give antibiotics at all, just treat the foot by hands-on methods. That's just my experience with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by