1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Giving away my beautiful rooster.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChortleChic, Jul 6, 2011.

1. ChortleChic

ChortleChic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    The short version of my story is that my neighbors were fine, three months ago, with me getting layers but once I realized I had a rooster, one neighbor was not too pleased. I tried keeping Stubby, the rooster, in the coop until 8am but the eagle eared fowl would crow once my 6am alarm would go off. The coop walls were not quite insulated for crowing. I drove him up to Fryeburg Maine this evening to a nice young couple who will be giving him a new home but that is no consolation right now. I miss my rooster. Not many roosters will let you kiss and hug them but Stubby, for a handful of scratch, would do anything. [​IMG]:hit

2. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    I'm sorry you had to do that. [​IMG] He sounds like a real nice guy.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am so sorry. I would be heartbroken if I had to part with my big boy or any of my boys for that matter. The boys are special.

4. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    The boys are very special....they are very loving...all but one of the 5 I've had have been sweet hearts.
    I'd be very bummed...I'm very sorry for your dilemma.
    [​IMG]
    I read somewhere that a roosters crow is lower in decibels than the egg song....some people have been able to keep their roo's based on this claim.

5. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Quote:I hope he found a great home where he can crown to his hearts content.
    [​IMG]

6. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have 3 I need to rehome and am dreading it [​IMG]

7. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    [​IMG] I am so sorry you had to give your sweet roo away. I TOTALLY know how you feel. I gave away my sweet Tully (avatar), who will be a year old this saturday, about a month ago because his crow was soooo loud. I hadn't had any real complaints, but since I had 2 other roosters who weren't as loud, I didn't want to take any chances on animal control showing up, since I am not supposed to have any roosters. Every night we would go outside and put him and his mom and dad into boxes and put them in the shed so their crowing couldn't be heard at night, and every morning at 8 am I would let them out. It is still hard for me to go out there at night because he isn't there. He was so sweet, and he also loved being held. I would bring him in the house with me while I watched tv, and he would fall asleep in my arms. The people I gave him to are friends of my dad, they have their own chickens and promised him they wouldn't eat him. I haven't gotten an update on him, I am almost afraid to ask in case something has happened to him. [​IMG] [​IMG] I can't believe how attached you can get to these crazy birds!

8. ChortleChic

ChortleChic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Thanks to everyone who wrote me. This morning I let the girls out to free range and they fractured into several groups. My Stubby never let that happen. Now I'm walking around the yard with my coffee trying to herd 14 birds into some sense of a group. I'm also looking over at my neighbors house and not feeling very much good will. It's so sad he had to go. He really was the leader and followed me for food, making chicken round-up very easy.[​IMG]

9. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I am sorry. He sounds really sweet. We had mean roosters that my dad had to kill. We still have 2 that need to go. I know how you feel.

10. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    :welcome I live 'round the corner from you in Hacienda Heights! I am SO lucky we can have roosters where I live.....Is Rosemead zoned for roos???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by