1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Giving Calcium to only one chicken-how much please?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Carrie Lynn, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Songster

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I have 2 standard 10 wk.-olds, and one POL Bantam Leghorn.
    She just sqatted for the first time yesterday :)

Questions: How do I give her calcium and not the others. I thought of using finely crushed eggshell mushed into a softened raisin.
    How much and often should I give it to her? She is small, probably no more than 1 pound (if that).
    Thanks in advance,
    Carrie Lynn

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

From what I have read on here, most people just offer oyster shell on the side in a pan and she will self-regulate her own calcium intake. I am mixing mine in my feed now, and that is what works for me, but I have a lot of layers.

Eggshells are fine too- just make sure they are crushed very well so that they don't get started with egg-eating.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  3. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Songster

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Thanks for the reply. However, I have learned not to give young birds calcium until POL.
    Won't the 10 week-olds eat it also? They seem to watch and eat whatever the hen eats...
    For that reason, I'm afraid to keep it available for all.

4. Caseman

Caseman Songster

Sep 22, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    just give her oyster shell free choice is the best way to deal with it..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by