Giving Chickens A Second Chance...

Smittenroade

Songster
8 Years
Jan 31, 2011
North East Texas
Hi all, Im new to raising chickens, I find myself in an interesting and delightful turn of events. I recently found myself in posession of some, what I think are, game chickens. Im not really sure what kind of game they are though. I am planning on posting images of them on the boards when I am able. The rooster I have was a reject from a breeder who thought he wasn't "agressive" enough and was going to dispose of him. Where I live, agressive fighting roosters sell for a ton of money and ones that dont make the cut are not kept around for long. So, I decided to take the initiative and buy him and four hens. He has turned out to be a great rooster, very docile in nature and even good around other roosters. Who would have thunk? He is a little weary of people though, but my border collie gets along with him great! Anyways, I threw up a coop and run within a couple days and they all seem to be doing very well. I still am not quite sure how old they are, or much anything else, besides them being game chickens. Thats my story, I expect these forums will be very helpful in my journey full of poultry.

BTW I am already preparing to get more chickens....this hobby is addictive, and tasty (eggs).

I finally can post the images, here they are. Not too good though, because like I said they are still a bit weary of people. I think the breeder did not treat them very well.
First is the rooster, I named him Rooster Cogburn.
78558_img_1134.jpg

and then the chick, cant see her very well. Any thoughts on breed would be much appreciated.
78558_img_1141.jpg

Hello and welcome!! Rooster Cogburn is one handsome dude- love his name! And the chick is lovely! I am a complete newbie so I can't help with the breed- but the experts here will certainly help. I am so glad you are giving them a good, loving home! Just wanted to say hello- best of luck with your new flock!
yippiechickie.gif

Thank you for the greeting Ganesha. I see that your'e from southern Illinois. I used to live in Cave in Rock near Harrisburg and have alot of family in Alton.

Small world!! We are in the Mt. Vernon area- transplanted from Chicago- and enjoying our country life! I agree about this hobby becoming addictive- I have become obsessed and the chicks aren't even here! I look forward to updates on your chicks! Have a wonderful day!
D.gif

welcome-byc.gif
and to the wonderful fun of chickeneering!

Have lots of fun with your new feathered friends. They will quickly learn to adore you once they know that you provide tasty treats. Don't give them something EVERY time you see them, otherwise that's what they'll expect. Always give them attention, considerate treatment, and soothing words so they'll lose their wariness. But bring them treats only on random occasions to keep them guessing.

The small brown hen in the second picture looks like a Dutch Bantam. She may be full grown and that's as long as her legs will get.

Yes, they are already starting to let me get a little closer. Yesterday I fed them a cooked leftover chicken wing. They stripped it to the bone pretty fast. Ive even started to let a couple free range, they always stick close to the coop.

Heres a couple more, if anyone has any thoughts on these.

78558_img_1163.jpg

and...

78558_img_1148.jpg

Back
Top Bottom