1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Giving Chickens Eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by marleylulu, Nov 18, 2012.

1. marleylulu

marleylulu Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2012
    Ontairio
    I heard that you can give your chickens egg. How do you prepare it? Scramble it? My chickens are 3 RIR and 2 Jersey giants. And whats some other tasty treats?

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I just take shells,eggs and all break them up and feed it to them raw. (I don't cook anything for my chickens)

Chris

3. marleylulu

marleylulu Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2012
    Ontairio
    So you can feed them the shells too?

4. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    I scramble them for the chickens. Some say that if they get them raw they can develop a taste for it and end up eating their own eggs. I don't know if that's true or not, but it's not a big deal to scramble them :) I save all their shells and after drying I crush them into a bag. When I get a goodly amount, I whiz them in the food processor until they're ground fairly fine but not powdery. Besides a container of grit, we always keep a small container of either oyster shell or ground eggshell for them as a calcium supplement. We keep both containers topped up and they help themselves to what they need.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Yes, Shells and all.
    I just take and break up the eggs in a bucket until it looks somewhat like scrambled egg before its cooked and then pore it right on there feed.

Chris

6. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Our chickens don't get a lot of eggs, but they get a lot of egg shell. Just make sure it's crushed up enough that it doesn't resemble an egg anymore, and they won't make the connection between what they're eating and their own freshly-laid eggs.

Some of our chickens' favorite treats include any kind of greens--spinach, lettuce, cabbage, etc--melon (especially the seeds), tomatoes, bread, and any kind of insect--ESPECIALLY roaches and crickets. I also take the pulp left over after I use my juicer and give that to them, which they seem to appreciate.

I have also heard of people giving their chickens oatmeal, yogurt, and peanutbutter, but haven't tried it yet myself.

7. bridget-rdh

bridget-rdh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2012
    Drumright, OK
    Chickens will eat almost anything. We keep a bowl by the kitchen sink for food scraps and I feed it to them daily. (the garbage disposal is on vacation[​IMG]). Egg shells, leftovers, spinach, apple cores, over-ripe bananas, popcorn.. If it's something like taco meat, I usually rinse the seasoning off first. I don't think too much salt is good for them. Here is a link for a chart here on BYC for chicken treats. Lots of good info.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by