Giving chickens Ice Cream

Gonzo

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Southwestern, In
My DH wants to give the rest of the half gallon of butter pecan ice cream to our chickens tomorrow as a treat. What do you think? Will the pecans be ok for them? They have grit... I told him I'd check with ya'll first!
lau.gif

No way should you ever give your chickens ice cream! Never! Just call me and I'll eat it!

I wonder if chickens get ice cream head ache?

My inlaws used to give their chickens just about anything with no problem but occasional diarrhea.

I feed my chickies milk and yogurt ( sugar free) on a regular basis... so i don't see why ice cream would be bad as long as you don't do it every day, and to the poster who said dairy is bad for them what is that founded on? Not trying to start a war honestly curios... i would hate to be feeding my chickies something harmful.

Quote:
Yes, chickens get brain freeze. I gave my chickens a big bowl of strawberry sherbert one day. When they tried to gulp it down, being the pigs they are, it caused their hackle feathers to go up and stay up.
lol.png

Quote:
yogurt is fine cause of the probiotic but dairy cause really bad runny poo which could dehydrate them. My source is BYC. LOL I posted the same question awhile back and got bumbarted by NO, BAD, NO, DON'T DO it............LOL

So i never give them dairy except for the yogurt once a week

there is a treat chart on here that has good and bad treats. also never knew bananas were bad also................AS I MOVED ALL THE BANANA TREES, which wasn't easy i might add....lmao

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone giving chickens ice cream. I'm sure they would eat it, I doubt it would be very good for them though. The more processed food is, the worse it is for you (or your pets). A little is probably ok, but they'd probably rather have some nice cold watermelon or something else similar and more natural for a chicken....

Back
Top Bottom