giving chickens meat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by yomama, Jan 9, 2010.

1. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

Is it ok to give chickens meat. I haven't done so yet, don't want to make anyone sick. It's just occasionally we will have some left over hamburger, chicken, or even bacon,( all cooked of course) and I was wondering if it was ok to give to them. I know it sounds kind of gross, just wondering.

Thanks!

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I do and they love it. They don't know they are cannibals [​IMG]

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I wouldn't give them bacon as it is too salty but the other meats are just fine. Mine slept really well after their thanksgiving turkey feast [​IMG]

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    The only thing I don't feed mine is chicken - that's just a little too weird for me...but they love meat - especially fish!!

5. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    [​IMG]
    Meat is a good source of protein for them

6. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

Thanks!

I was a little worried about the bacon being salty- that is actually what prompted my question today. We actually had a few pieces of left over bacon.

Thanks for all the info!

7. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Mine love chicken and turkey.

8. daquilajmd

daquilajmd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2009
    A mountain ridge in WV
    My chickens love meat more than anything! They fight over it. I don't give them very much, just a few leftovers now and then, but they really go crazy for it!

9. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I was given a HUGE hunk of moose meat last year (80 pound hunk!) with a bunch of bnes and smaller scraps. I froze the hunk and just took it out the other night for the dogs. I sliced it up and fed it tou to the dogs and made jerky for them. Al the little scraps I saved for the hens. OMG, did they dive on it! Too funny watching them run around with pieces hanging out of their beak! Such bloodthirsty little critters! I can so see thier dinosaur ancestors in them!

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I tossed a deer carcass in the run and the birds picked it clean in short order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by