Giving chicks away after hatching

RazzieGirl

Hatching
Mar 28, 2020
I have a young son, and I’m thinking it could be educational to hatch some chicks or ducklings. However, I don’t want to have a flock. So I’m wondering if it’s considered acceptable to hatch chicks, raise them until they’re transportable and then find a new home for them with someone who has a permanent flock. Is this a thing people do? Would it be hard to find someone who would be willing to take them? Would it be tough for the person receiving them to integrate them into their own flock or would I have ensure that they don’t get above a certain age before joining a new flock?

Question. Years ago I had a lot of emus and incubated and hatched babies. I also have had ducks. I am no longer on a farm, but have a large neighborhood lot and just bought 5 silkie chicks. Is it really a large amount of work keeping chickens? I would think keeping them from predators is the biggest deal. I am trying to figure out how much to spend on a coop. If most people give up on chickens after a season or two, then obviously I'd want to spend less. Has anyone here had chickens for years and years? This was something on my bucket list

I have had chickens for 11 years. They still live in the same set up which we put a lot of work in to at first. They are not a lot of work, as long as they are well maintained.

You better be prepared to have 50 percent roosters which are harder to unload. I wouldn't do it for the reason you describe. They're animals. Not teaching aides. Would you do that with kittens?

Back
Top Bottom