giving chicks to non broody hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tamraclovw, Dec 21, 2013.

1. tamraclovw

tamraclovw Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    OK, so I know this is not standard practice, but I am wondering if anyone has ever SUCCESSFULLY tried placing incubator hatched chicks under a hen that is not broody.

I finally found someone locally who was selling BCM eggs for $1 each and I bought 15. I did a hatch last year, so I'm getting my incubator heated up now and planning to add the eggs tomorrow afternoon.

Last year, I had a broody mamma who took my chicks no problem. She was a great hatcher herself, and fiercely protective. I'm wondering if it ever happens that a hen will always love chicks, or if she must always go broody first.

I realize that I will be taking a risk if I try, and normally this doesn't work, just wondering if anyone ever has.

Thanks all!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Broodiness and mothering in my experience are absolutely linked. I have heard some say that they had silkies that would mother any chicks, but have never had such a thing happen with any non setting hens.

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I agree with Sourland. Unfortunately, I think the chicks would be injured or killed if you were to try to graft them to a non-broody hen.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Wish I could find local BCM eggs for a buck each!!

Good luck with your hatch!

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

$ 1. USD per BCM egg wow what a deal [​IMG].......

A non broody hen now that is taking a chance [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

6. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    Rather than using a non-broody hen, why don't you make a indoor brooder for your hatch. I made a large one out of cardboard boxes, twine and a glue gun. My hatch loved there first home and although I was told it was normal to lose a few, I never lost a single one.

I opened three heavy cardboard boxes and layered them on the floor then glued them to each using a few flaps. Stood the other boxes in a circle around the floor and glued the flaps to the floor. Glued the flaps to each other to form the circle. My hubby made two sturdy ends {see Picture} and put a metal shelf piece through it to hold the heat lamp. After the hatching, I threw chick starter all over the floor so they recognize it as food. A day later I added chips to the floor, food, yogurt and starter mash and water. I had a very successful hatch.

[​IMG]
    Homemade brooder

[​IMG]
    Inside
    [​IMG]
    Yogurt and mash

Plus you get the pleasure of being with them on a daily basis and forming a relationship with them. I highly recommend this.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Even my (non-broody) silkies were very intolerant of chicks, although as broody moms did a great job. It would be very rare for a non-broody hen to do anything other than reject chicks, and could actually injure or kill them.

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

9. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    Thanks Gander007, the brooder me and my hubby built was large enough for me to sit inside and spend time with my little peepers. As a result, I got to know each and every one of my little darlings and each of their different personalities. It was the best time I ever spent, they grow up too fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by