Giving Chicks treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by babychicks1203, Jul 29, 2010.

1. babychicks1203

babychicks1203 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    Oxford, Indiana
    I have never had baby chicks before: Please help;)

How old do the chicks need to be before I start giving them treats? And how old can I start letting them outside to play?

Thank You so Much![​IMG]

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    There are lots of opinions on this, but, I think you should wait about 2 wks before giving them something besides chick starter. If there is a problem, it gives you one less thing to narrow down; it won't be something they ate. I live where its very warm so I put mine outside in the tractor when they were 9 days old. I let them out of the tractor a few days later, only with supervision, in the late afternoon. Just make sure they don't get chilled.

3. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    I love the tame chicks on the dog photo noodleroo! Our babies have been cuddling up to a tennis ball in the brooder for a toy. [​IMG] I agree, supervise them outside and gradually build them up to being out all day. In a secure area. Also hold off on treats for a while, 2-3 weeks, just in case something happens or the choke on a big piece. That would be no fun!

4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:I know I'm really lucky to have them all get along so well. Love your avitar, by the way...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by