Giving Corid to day old chicks as a preventative?

Nitnat

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2021
So, Hello I'm new here and new to chickens. I have my first chicks on order from Cackle Hatchery. I was reading the brooder set up instructions today and it says Medicated feed isn't enough to prevent coccidia. That you need to dose Corid in the water, but you can not give vitamins with it because it negates the corid. So I've seen in a lot of places and planned on doing Savachic electrolytes and vitamins in the water for the first week or so. So now I dont know what to do. Should I do the savachic and just have corid on hand in case? I dont want to mess up. And can day old chicks come from the hatchery with coccidia? I was a vet tech for many years. (Granted my clinic didnt see chickens) but i know animals get coccidiosis from ingesting contaminated food, water, soil or stool. So how could a bunch of newly hatched chicks be exposed to adult stool in the conditions they are hatched in? On the eggs they hatch from I guess? This last question isnt a big deal I'm just curious. I really just need to know which holds precedence the electrolytes and vitamins to start with or the corid? Thank you so much in advance.

I may be wrong but I’ve never heard of medicated feed not being enough of a preventative. The corid and medicated feed have the same medication in it. So I guess what your doing is just giving the chicks a higher dose. Medicated feed has always worked for me. I’ve hatched about... more than I can count sets of eggs actually and none of chicks have ever gotten coccidiosis. I even switched to non-medicated feed at one point and still had no problems. I think you should be fine with just the medicated feed honestly. You can always do the medicated feed and vitamins now and dose with corid later.

Medicated feed contains a preventative dose of amprolium. No reason to use Corid too unless you suspect they actually have coccidiosis.

I would start off with the Sav-a-chick and if coccidiosis is a concern, have Corid ready on hand IF you need it.

I don't feed medicated feed and my chicks are now raised outdoors next to the adult flock (which had coccidiosis in the past), but I haven't had any issue with coccidiosis since the initial batch. Chicks can build up natural immunity by being exposed to it, so some folks deliberately put in clumps of soil from their run into the brooder.

Oh, and IF the chicks have been vaccinated at the hatchery for coccidiosis (you'd have to request it), do NOT feed medicated as that will nullify the vaccine.

Medicated feed contains a preventative dose of amprolium. No reason to use Corid too unless you suspect they actually have coccidiosis.

I would start off with the Sav-a-chick and if coccidiosis is a concern, have Corid ready on hand IF you need it.

I don't feed medicated feed and my chicks are now raised outdoors next to the adult flock (which had coccidiosis in the past), but I haven't had any issue with coccidiosis since the initial batch. Chicks can build up natural immunity by being exposed to it, so some folks deliberately put in clumps of soil from their run into the brooder.

Oh, and IF the chicks have been vaccinated at the hatchery for coccidiosis (you'd have to request it), do NOT feed medicated as that will nullify the vaccine.
Awesome! Thank you so, so much!!!

I may be wrong but I’ve never heard of medicated feed not being enough of a preventative. The corid and medicated feed have the same medication in it. So I guess what your doing is just giving the chicks a higher dose. Medicated feed has always worked for me. I’ve hatched about... more than I can count sets of eggs actually and none of chicks have ever gotten coccidiosis. I even switched to non-medicated feed at one point and still had no problems. I think you should be fine with just the medicated feed honestly. You can always do the medicated feed and vitamins now and dose with corid later.
Thank you so much!

My 5 day old chicks have started having splashes of reddish brown poop. Two days ago only one had it but she is lethargic but eating n drinking. We got them all from a farmer who hatches in incubator. There were 50 to 60 in the brooder. The vet is closed and I can't locate a microscope for confirmation. We have CORID liquid on hand. Is it ok to put it in the waterer if undiagnosed? Can we continue putting electrolytes?

My 5 day old chicks have started having splashes of reddish brown poop. Two days ago only one had it but she is lethargic but eating n drinking. We got them all from a farmer who hatches in incubator. There were 50 to 60 in the brooder. The vet is closed and I can't locate a microscope for confirmation. We have CORID liquid on hand. Is it ok to put it in the waterer if undiagnosed? Can we continue putting electrolytes?
It will do no harm to give them Corid so if you're not sure, it's best to dose all the chicks with it.

Electrolytes shouldn't make a difference, however they're not meant for long term or prolonged use.

Back
Top Bottom