giving day old chicks water?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 88heather, Sep 21, 2011.

1. 88heather

88heather Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    3 of my 4 eggs hatched today. so they are a few hours old.. I picked each chick up and helped it drink water.. should I have the waterer in there.. could they drown??? should I wait a day.. give them water then put the waterer in tomorrow when they are moving more?

thoughts?? I have the cutest video of them hatching.. i hope to put something together tonight. [​IMG]

2. 88heather

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    anyone??? [​IMG]

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I give mine water right away in the brooder. The heat lamp will make them thirsty. Just dip their beaks once in the water and they should be fine.

4. kellyjo8437

kellyjo8437 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Dunnellon
    Im by no means a chicken expert but I was always told to put sugar in the water the first few days and also put some marbles/rocks in the water dish to reduce chance of babies drowning or getting soaking wet and causing chills. Just my two cents [​IMG]

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Fresh water with no sugar in the brooder only, never in the bator for drinking. The water should be situated so the chick cannot drown in it. Remember, warm and wet is security for them, they just came out of the egg.

6. 88heather

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    thanks!!!! they are out of my Brinsea mini advance .. today was hatch day and they hatched right on time with only one egg that is still there doing nothing. [​IMG]

we made a brooder and I have a little chick starter and a mini waterer that I just added the marble to. (great idea!!).. I just started worrying about them if they were to put their head in the water. I picked up each chick and will do so till I go to bed tonight to help them dip their beak in the water to show them what to do..

hope I'm doing this right.. I've got day old chicks before and was fine.. but never dealt with just hours old. [​IMG]

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I've never shown them what to do, how to drink water. Once they're up and about, they can help but to explore their environment. The waterer I use came from TSC and the dish part is red, which is a color they can't resist. When you walk out to the coop/run with red toenail polish you'll see what I mean.[​IMG]

8. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Put marbles or rocks in the waterer so if they fall in they won't drown. Doesn't take much water for them to get into trouble.

9. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Definitely need the marbles. Day old chicks aren't that coordinated and will fall in.

10. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I also found that if I tapped my finger on something, they'd automatically investigate it. I spent 5 minutes tapping the chick crumb and then the water and they got the hang of it straight away. Good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by