1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Giving egg shells

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jbh06, Jul 31, 2011.

1. jbh06

jbh06 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    Columbia County, NY
    I had read on here that some people cook egg shells before giving them to their chickens. Is it necessary? What are the consequences? Thanks in advance

2. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I used to bake them, now I just dry them out and crush them up.

3. jbh06

jbh06 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    Columbia County, NY
    Thanks, I have been just crushing them up and giving them to the chickens. I never thought twice about it until I read that somebody baked them and another nuked them.

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

that was me that said I nuked them and that was only to dry them up. [​IMG]

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens

x2
    I zap them in the micro as well to eliminate any microbes (thought that was kind of poetic)--- put them in with water to boil. They break up more easily, and all the whites are solid so the crushing is neater. It is purely optional.

6. jbh06

jbh06 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    Columbia County, NY
    Great, Thanks for the input

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dry them if you want to, but they air dry just fine in a few days anyhow. As for fear of bacteria, etc, anyone who actually has chickens knows that the chicken's world is filled with bacteria, that they eat worms, bugs, mice, dig through cow pies for maggots and most anything else. Just sayin'. So, whatever might be on that dried shell is probably the least of anyone's worries.[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by