Giving goat kid raw cow milk

kruss

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
My kids have been getting whole milk from the store since I bought them and they are thriving. A local farmer has given me excess milk from one of his cows. Is there any reason to pasteurize this milk? Can diseases be passed from cows to goats? Thanks!

Do I need to pasteurize it? Can they get any disease from it?

I'd give it to them without pasteurizing it. We used to give goats milk to our baby cows and cows milk to our baby goats, depending when we had extra
smile.png

Pasteurizing is not good for any living creatures. The amount of ways that it kills milk is just astounding when you start getting in to the details. Check out RealMilk.Com for a very comprehensive list of it all. Raw is far better in all forms. Raw fruit and vegetables are more nutritious than cooked. Raw honey has more beneficial qualities than processed honey. Raw apple cider vinegar works wonders while processed does little to nothing.

Raw milk does not go rancid and raw honey never spoils, ever. They have honey from the Egyptian tombs estimated to be over 5000 years old that was still edible and tasted delicious supposedly. It's amazing what our processed foods have really become.

And if you think about it, if raw milk is good enough for human consumption, as a great many of us on this Forum do, then why should it be any less beneficial for a goat?

I think Brucellosis as well as Johne's disease is found in both cows and goats. Whether it can be transmitted from the milk of one species to another I don't know. But I think this is what you are asking.

Yes that is what I am asking...I just don't want my dairy goats that I have paid a lot of money for to contract a disease (I know for sure right now they are negative) because I gave them milk containing a disease.

Back
Top Bottom