Giving incubating a shot

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by goatkeepers, Jun 1, 2008.

1. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Well, long story short- bought eggs from neighbor and he said they were fertilized. Since DOH and I are vegetarians, we feel weird eating them so we built a styrofoam bator. [​IMG] I'm experimenting with the humidity and temp in it and am getting ready to put the eggs in it in an hour or so. Not sure if all eggs are fertile since he has roos in some but not all of his chicken runs, but we'll give it a shot. Got a fan, hopefully it won't make too much air in the bator. So temp at around 99-100 F and humidity at 40-45%? Is that right?
    I sure hope at least a few hatch. We only have 3 hens right now and I am wanting some more. [​IMG]

If anyone has done a successful hatch in a styro-bator, PLEASE give me some encouragement. [​IMG] I wish I knew for sure if all the eggs are fertile to start with...
    Thanks!

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    [​IMG] Too cool!!!! You can tell in a few days if they are fertile by candling (if they aren't too dark anyway.... [​IMG] ). I just did my first hatch ever in a styro LG, still air. I had 12 eggs developing after day 3 or 4 and I have 10 gorgeous, healthy babies!!! Good luck!!!

3. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    What's a "LG"? And is still air without a fan? I thought you need a fan to circulate the warm air? Can I candle, even if they are brown eggs? Thanks for your help. [​IMG]

4. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    you will see veins in them on day 3 or 4. Brown eggs are just harder to see in but you can do it. Just use a potent flashlight. I have a styro bator w no fan and had 100% hatch. I have 14 moving embryos right now. Day 8 for me. Join my Hatching crew thread. That wayyou can compare w people and ask us questions.
    -Annie

5. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Sorry...it is "Little Giant" which is just the brand, and one that some don't like. [​IMG] Yeah, still air means it has no fan. I think one of the main issues with this is temp variations around the bator, but mine all seemed to develop equally. Are you using a turner or turning by hand? If by hand, I used egg cartons and LOVED it. You can candle brown eggs, they can just be a little harder to see (depending on how dark they are). Just use a really bright light and make sure the room is completely dark. Candle from the big end (but don't flip the egg over). You should be able to see a tiny spider looking network of veins pretty early. My policy was, however, unless I KNEW the egg was bad it stayed in. It really is exciting and gets so cool as you go along. A lot of people only advise candling twice throughout the hatch and some every day. I was the every day sort since I had to open it to turn them anyway. Have fun!!! It is a really cool experience!!!

you will see veins in them on day 3 or 4. Brown eggs are just harder to see in but you can do it. Just use a potent flashlight. I have a styro bator w no fan and had 100% hatch. I have 14 moving embryos right now. Day 8 for me. Join my Hatching crew thread. That wayyou can compare w people and ask us questions.
    -Annie

Annie beat me to it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  6. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks Annie, I will try to find your thread!! Sounds neat. [​IMG]
    Luvmychicknkids, how do I use the egg carton to turn with? I will be turning by hand. I'm kinda worried since that means I will have to open the bator 3 times a day, letting humidity and heat out.... Could you explain to me how the egg carton method works? [​IMG] Thanks! Oh, and what do you mean by don't flip them when I candle from the bigger end? Don't flip them how?

Thanks SO MUCH! [​IMG] I am excited.

7. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    To use the egg cartons, cut the tops off and cut a hole out of the bottom of each cup (so they can get more of the humidity). Place each egg, big end up, in the cartons. People use different thing to prop the carton, but I just used the cut off tops. Three times a day turn the carton from the side it is turned on to the other and prop it up with the lid or a small board. This turns them just as much as an auto turner. When you stop turning you can just leave the cartons flat and they are ready to go. It is quicker this way, too, so you lose less heat and humidity. Don't turn the egg where the fat end is at the bottom and the small end is at the top (when candling). It can mess up the air cell. They need to stay upright or on the side.

You will have to keep us updated throughout your hatch. [​IMG] You are very welcome. [​IMG] I understand being nervous and excited!!!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  8. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Oh, I don't really understand the egg carton method. [​IMG] Sorry! Do you have pics by any chance? Do I stand them in the carton? I thought the eggs should lay flat... Sorry I'm such a pain. *lol*

9. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    You aren't being a pain at all!!!! Yes, they stand up in the carton with the fat end (air cell) up. I will look and see if I have any pics of mine and will also see if I can find other pics on here. You can ask as many questions as you want....we are all learning from eachother. [​IMG]

10. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    You're so sweet! Thanks a million. But I thought they are supposed to lay down? So I just cut the lid of the egg carton, punch a hole in each egg space and stand them up the whole time? Even the last three days? I kinda understand this part, but not the turning. So are you leaning the carton back a bit? Again, thank you so much for you help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by