Giving Injection in Muscle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TerriL, Aug 18, 2010.

1. TerriL

TerriL Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Holden, Missouri
    I have to give a Rooster an injection of Penicilen (sp) in his breast. I went to do it but he is very thin and i cannot find a spot on his chest to give it. Anyone had to deal with this, any tips or tricks. Thanks Terri

2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    you can try the leg instead, just not too deep and be sure to aspirate to check for blood before injecting

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    what angle did you go in at? i always feel for breast bone and go by that..........

4. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    I am giving a thin rooster penicillin as well. Talked to my vet today and he said put your finger on the breastbone and then go about an inch to the side.

ETA - ditto on drawing the plunger back to check for blood in the hub of the needle (where it connects) - if you inject penicillin in a vein it will kill the bird from anaphylactic shock.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  5. TerriL

Oct 16, 2009
    Holden, Missouri
    rcentner - thanks for that info I did not know that I will be carefull to check for blood.

Lorije1 - i will take you vets advice - I started to go ahead and try to give it but I chickened out (no pun intended) but since my roo is getting worse I have to take the plunge.

Thanks for the help all. Terri

6. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    It isn't bad... just off the bone you can find a little muscle even in a thin bird. Good luck!

7. TerriL

Oct 16, 2009
    Holden, Missouri
    Hello All, Well I gave the injection last night and no body died. The only trouble I had was I could not get the plunger to push. I pulled the needle back out and pushed and pushed and finally it squirted all over the place. I went back and reloaded and tried again and still had trouble so I pulled it back out and pushed and pushed but managed not to squirt the entire amount all over the deck. I pulled the plunger back a little and gave the rooster what was left in the syringe. I went back inside and replaced what the rooster did not get and went through the whole thing again. Finally got enough in him.

I am going to try again tonight, hopefully to not have to stick him 4 times to get 1cc in him.

Thanks again for the advice Terri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by