giving Keifer to a chicken

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Gonzo, May 12, 2010.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Does anyone know if giving keifer to a chicken with a sour crop would help it? My polish has one, and I've been giving plain yogurt with active bacteria... but thought keifer may actually work better? I wasn't really sure where to put this.... seeing how it is food related, I stuck it here... [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2010
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I dont know .. It shouldnt hurt...

3. arabianequine

arabianequine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 4, 2010
    gonzo&hispeeps :

Does anyone know if giving keifer to a chicken with a sour crop would help it? My polish has one, and I've been giving plain yogurt with active bacteria... but thought keifer may actually work better? I wasn't really sure where to put this.... seeing how it is food related, I stuck it here... [​IMG]

I don't know what keifer is?​

4. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    I tried giving it to my chickens just for the probiotics. They turned their beaks up at it. They won't even touch yogurt.

I think I have mutant chickens LOL

5. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Quote:I don't know what keifer is?

Heres the best way for me to explain... http://kefirlady.com/

6. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I give our chickens all my extra kefir grains when I forget and leave it too long while making it. They go beserk for it. I also give them the liquid. However, there are other steps to follow first with sour crop before you do the yoghurt or kefir step. Do a search on sour crop in the diseases etc forum. But kefir is great for them ... and they love it... good luck!

7. NWChicks

NWChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    My chickens ADORE kefir! They turn into velociraptors when I bring out the jug! Even my rooster goes nuts over the stuff. I had a baby chick that wouldn't eat when I brought her home so I mixed her chick food with kefir and made a mash. She and her two broodermates went crazy over it and now she's one of my bossiest chickens.

I have had mine on a round of meds for cocci and have been giving them kefir to help them recover and they're doing well. I have one hen that is older than the others and is of laying age while the younger ones won't be there for a few more weeks. I have everyone on grower since I can't feed her separately and had just figured I wouldn't get any eggs from her until I could switch them all to layer. Once I started giving them kefir, I started getting eggs from her! Now the day after she gets kefir, I get an egg. The days I miss, so does she! Good thing I brew my own. [​IMG]

After all that rambling about nothing pertaining to your original question let me just say I don't know if it will help sour crop or not though from what I've read it should if it's not too bad. I also read that you might try mixing a bit of olive oil in to help things along. Good luck and I hope your bird is better soon!

8. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    I have never given it to the chickens, but my dog loves Keifer. She is right there everyone morning begging for it. I give her both the liquid and the grains(cultures).
    I will have to try it with the chickens and see if they like it, too.
    Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by