1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Giving meat birds grass/bugs in brooder

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CDennis, Nov 6, 2010.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I know w/ my regular flock I didn't introduce bugs/grass until they were outside free ranging, but I was curious if anyone has given bugs/grass to their meat birds at an early age? They are very lively and have already eaten on their own several bugs who wandered into their brood box. I thought grass might be a good thing to add, but I don't want to kill off my meat supply either.

2. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Yes , at around two weeks or less I started feeding night crawlers , bugs , meat scraps , grass , wild bird feed , in their bedding and added some parakeet grit in a tuna fish can . The CX were on unlimited feed at that time but were being trained for the plan of limiting trough feeding later to slow growth and maintain them for breeding . They still are not great foragers at 6 months and will not leave a feeder as long as there is a speck of feed , but they will look for more natural foods when they're hungry enough . They are now allowed to fill their crops once daily ; 90% of their ration is gone in 15 minutes , probably another 15 spent cleaning up every last speck , then they must turn to grass cuttings , hay , scraps , or find something live if they want more .

3. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    I planted oat grass in my meatie run. They are only just over 2wks old now, so still living in their "brooder pool", but I pinch up a bunch of grass and give it to them. They also chase any bugs that get into the pool. I will start to give them some scratch grains this coming Wednesday (3wks of age).
    Be sure you have some chick grit available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by