Giving meat birds grass/bugs in brooder

CDennis

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Idaho
I know w/ my regular flock I didn't introduce bugs/grass until they were outside free ranging, but I was curious if anyone has given bugs/grass to their meat birds at an early age? They are very lively and have already eaten on their own several bugs who wandered into their brood box. I thought grass might be a good thing to add, but I don't want to kill off my meat supply either.

Yes , at around two weeks or less I started feeding night crawlers , bugs , meat scraps , grass , wild bird feed , in their bedding and added some parakeet grit in a tuna fish can . The CX were on unlimited feed at that time but were being trained for the plan of limiting trough feeding later to slow growth and maintain them for breeding . They still are not great foragers at 6 months and will not leave a feeder as long as there is a speck of feed , but they will look for more natural foods when they're hungry enough . They are now allowed to fill their crops once daily ; 90% of their ration is gone in 15 minutes , probably another 15 spent cleaning up every last speck , then they must turn to grass cuttings , hay , scraps , or find something live if they want more .

I planted oat grass in my meatie run. They are only just over 2wks old now, so still living in their "brooder pool", but I pinch up a bunch of grass and give it to them. They also chase any bugs that get into the pool. I will start to give them some scratch grains this coming Wednesday (3wks of age).
Be sure you have some chick grit available.

Back
Top Bottom