giving meds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kyrose, Jul 24, 2010.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    hello,when giving meds from a syringe,do you go over the tongue and down the throat? chickens dont have a gag reflex right?
    thanks

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

The vet just showed me how to do this and he said to put it on the back of the tongue. I go in from the side and toward the back but not too far. That's as refined as I get. She is still fighting it but I just take it slow and now she is more used to the procedure. Good Luck.

3. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    thanks biffer.

4. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    I had to do this for 2+ weeks with one of my hens. I found the easiest way to do it was to have the pre-measured syringes all lined up (there were 2 antibiotics and some ENSURE of all things!!!) and ready to go. Then my daughter - the resident chicken whisperer - would scoop her up and hold her calmly and gently pry open her beak with her fingernail. I would then squirt in as many syringes in succession as I could manage, angling from the side of her beak and as far in as I could go, giving the poor bird a breather after each one or two. It did get easier with time.

I can't even imagine how you'd do it all by yourself and not wind up with meds all over yourself and your bird. Hope it goes well!

5. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:lol yes we have been smelling like polyvisol.hope it gets easier.
    thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by