Giving more chick to a broody? advice needed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by j'aime mes poules, May 16, 2011.

1. j'aime mes poules

j'aime mes poules Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    New York
    My broody is raising her babys for 6 days now, could I add more chicks from the store? They would be a day old.

My broody is an experienced mama (mille fleurs bantam) has 6 chicks and I would have to buy 6 more at ther store, would she be ok with 12?

thanks for the help

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Um, not sure on that. i'm not sure a bantam could handle that many, but a standard size chicken might be able to. My next concern would be the age difference, and i would ponder if the older ones would pick on the little ones. i've only added chicks to a broody when they were the same age. Hope someone who has experienced this will give you better advice.

3. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    the only advice i have is TRY IT....
    put the babies under her and watch to see if she rejects them... the only other thing is the bigger babies might pick on them.... if there is trouble i would take them out.
    keep us posted
    Good Cluck!!!! [​IMG]

4. kristiesrottenrott

kristiesrottenrott New Egg

May 16, 2011
    My Bantam cochin just hatched 12 babies...she doesnt seem to be having any problems with them. All are growing beautifully and quite healthy. I would try it, if it doesnt work out put them in a box with a light. Good luck!!

5. j'aime mes poules

Jan 21, 2010
    New York
    thanks to all... i will try tomorow [​IMG]
    Hope it works

6. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Please report back on how this goes. I had some eggs under a broody that hatched yesterday but I also let her keep eggs from the other hens who laid in with her. The one set of eggs hatched yesterday and because of a lost baby incident I took the other eggs from her and stuck them in the incubator last night. If they hatch I'd like to stick them under momma. I'm thinking they should be hatching today or tomorrow. Good luck.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  7. j'aime mes poules

Jan 21, 2010
    New York
    I waited for the night and added my 6 new chicks under my broody Mille Fleurs (2 SLW, 3 ameraucanas, 1 Buff) she is brooding 6 7 days old chicks (1 Delaware and 5 brown leghorn)... she spreaded her wings and took the babies under her right away... she is such a good mom ! I am so proud of her.

She is in a small coop i set up for brooding and share the space with my mille fleurs rooster who is so sweet with baby chicks

I will update more tomorow

8. j'aime mes poules

Jan 21, 2010
    New York
    she is still taking care of the new chicks.... incredible that a small girl like her can handle 12 chicks!!

9. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    YEAH!!! [​IMG]
    I've never had a broody reject new babies but it can happen
    Congratulations....

10. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    I "grafted" six chicks under a broody at night, and she took them OK. after two weeks, one of them was killed by a dog, so I decided to get two more. these were 3 day old chicks, so by them she had 5 chicks who were two and a half week old and 2 chicks 3 days old. I actually added the last two during the day, while she was free ranging with the others. she took a close look at them and accepted right away! pretty funny! the chicks weren't so sure, but after speding a night with her, they all became a happy little family. It was pretty interesting to see how she would stop and warm the two little ones more often, while the others played around.

This lasted for one week. This past Friday, she decided she had enough. She put them to bed and went to the coop with the flock. On Saturday morning, she went back to the chicks, but after about one hour, we heard a big commotion. She was trying to kill one of the small ones. she tore a hole on the chick's back, so we brought the chick to a brooder, treated her and put her under a heat lamp.

The chick is now back with the other ones, but we can't let them out if "psycho mamma" is around - we have to put her in chicken jail while they free-range. Funny thing, the other chickens don't seem to mind the little ones, only psycho mamma.

Bottom line, if you do it, be ready to intervene and have to raise the new chicks yourself!

Good luck, let us know how it goes!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by