giving my broody silkie halfway incubated eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kingpincray, Dec 21, 2009.

1. kingpincray

kingpincray Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
    My white silkie has just gone broody for the first time after 3 weeks of laying and I have put a couple of eggs under her that has been in the incubator for 10/11 days just to see if she will hatch them out. I left the other 3 in the incubator just incase she changes her mind. If all goes well they will hatch on the 29th Dec.

is it ok to do that?

2. zaylinda

zaylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    In my experience, usually a hen will accept chicks if she's been sitting for at least 2 weeks. My mother frequently uses this method, letting the hen sit on a fake egg, then slipping day-old chicks under her after at least 2 weeks.
    Good Luck!

3. JD

JD Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have 6 in the bator and my silkie just started brooding. They're due on the 27th. Was wondering if that would work also. Can anyone advise on that?

4. kingpincray

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
    Hi JD, I think its only you and me on this one. We can compare results [​IMG]

Have a merry christmas and report next week. [​IMG]

5. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Going to watch and see how this works out for you two. Good luck

6. JD

JD Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    Hi kingpincray, I don't think I'm going to try it. I already have a banty in the house with 4 new silkies that were hatched under her. They're in a old ferrat cage I had and it is a job keeping it clean, but she is being a good mommy. I'm just going to take my chances with the 6 silkies eggs that I have in the bator now. Don't need to stinkers in the house lol. I hate it for my silkie that outside that's sitting on nothing right now but I rather stick the babies under the banty if she'll take them with the other 4 that was born 7 days ago. I hope there won't be too much of a gap for her to mother these also. Here are my babies now, think there would be too much time between them? Also Merry Christmas to you and everyone else.
    Jodi
    [​IMG]

7. kingpincray

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
    and here is the result. Silkie--100%. incubator--33%. My silkie has done a really good job at her first go. At one point i was even concerned that she forgot about her eggs as she was enjoying a dust bath but they turned out better and they even hatched a day earlier than the incubator eggs. The incubator eggs all developed but couldn't make it out and I didn't catch it in time to assist them.

here is the picture. and she is being a very good mummy even after only sitting on the eggs for 10 days.

[​IMG]

8. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:That's the cutest picture of a silkie with babies that I've ever seen.
    BTW, I've put newly-hatched chicks under my two silkies that weren't even broody, and they adopted/raised them.

9. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some EE broody hens and they are the best moms. I have a 3 inch scar on the back of my leg to prove it, too. These gals will also take any chick the first couple of days after a hatch. Also, if they have left the nest before all the eggs are hatched, (Which they frequently do if the hatch takes too long and the hen wants to take the babies to a new location for food/safety) I often hatch them in an incubator because they are usually no more than 24 hour behind. One of the last hens had 16 babies the last time. I think I finshed about 3 for her. A good broody hen...a reliable broody hen is a valuable bird.

10. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I've been having a hard time finding chickens that are old enough to stay in the chicken coop, but not Old Old. I can find silkies, though, and we were planning to get one anyway. I read on here that they will take chicks or eggs even if they aren't broody? If your plan works then I'm going to give it a try, too :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by